News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

AMT CP-16 Module

Started by briandress, June 12, 2017, 07:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briandress

Hey guys so AMT has that Pangea Cab Sim pedal but they also have this CAB IR module for sale.

Maybe this is DIY CAB IR loader in a chip? Says you can load up to 14 IRs 4 banks of 4.
http://eshop.amtelectronics.com/new-in-2015/amt-pangaea-cp-16-module.html

Ice-9

Yeah it is an interesting little IR module, I would get one to play with but they are all out of stock at the moment.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

MetalGuy

I already have one in my hands. I did a quick one layer PCB design based on AMT's development board.
The CP-16  came with 4 printed pages of connections, schematic and the layout of their development board.
I'll populate my board in the next couple of days and report back.

MetalGuy

The board fired up successfully. I didn't have time to play it thoroughly but everything seems to work fine.
In order to make it work you need to download the software package on AMT's CP-100 page which contains the driver and the software application. More experiments will follow in the upcoming week.

mhelin

That module seems to use ADAU1701 audio dsp. Data sheet: http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ADAU1701.pdf

I use that chip currently as an active crossover with my speakers. It's got pretty decent DAC's at least.The DSP can process 1024 instructions per sample, so it's about 50 MIPS @50 kHz sample rate. Obviously the IR can't be longer than that, and you propably want to save some cycles for other DSP functions like EQ.

mhelin

Regarding ADAU1701 there are many dev boards available using that chip, though you need to program the chip yourself using Sigma Studio and some compatible programmer (so not compatible with AMT software).

One example of ADAU1701 boards, the kernel board with headers:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADAU1701-Audio-Digital-Signal-Processor-DIY-2in-3out-control-DSP-board-/112267187788

markseel

So about 20 msec of IR.  That's not too bad and often there's not much energy beyond 20msec for IR's modeling just the speaker and cab and not room acoustics.

I have Celestion speaker cabs and I can see a small amount of response out to 30 msec for a 1x12 cabsim.  A 4x12 closed back shows energy out to 40 msec.  Looking very close there is energy out to 100 msec but it's very small.

For the 4x12; response falls below -20dB at about 2 msec, -30dB at 9msec (although energy above -30db briefly shows up at 21msec), -40db at 28 msec, -50db at 62 msec, and -60db at 130 msec.

MetalGuy

I can't comment on these technical details but it looks like the module does a pretty descent job at least for my needs.
The software allows you to tweak your impulses to taste. The module works with 24-bit, 48kHz impulses. If yours are different the software will convert them.

markseel

Nice.  Looks like a Windows app.  Is there one for OS X or Linux?  Would also be nice if there was a library that you could link with so that you could include the IR loading functions in your own app.  In another post we were discussing using USB/MIDI via Google Chrome - that would be interesting ... to have web interface where folks could share/distribute/rate IR's and load via the same web app.  Requires that the IR board support USB MIDI though.

MetalGuy

From what I can see on their site in the CP-100 section there is a free library of impulses used in CP-100 which is the same platform with some extras.
http://media.amtelectronics.com/amt-pangaea-cp-100/
I don't see OS X or Linux software though. Only win so far.
From what I know there will be also a Bluetooth module to work with a smartphone.
AFAIK the guys at AMT are very responsive for suggestions so if you have anything in mind let them know.
By the way their development board seems to be somewhat expensive so if anyone is interested I can clone that from the printed copy and do a small run but we'll need to discuss few parts choices/options before that.