ROG Ruby amp - volume issues?

Started by Fingersoup1, June 29, 2019, 10:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fingersoup1

So, I've built a Ruby amp.  Schematic: http://www.runoffgroove.com/ruby.html

My previous attempts were plagued with part quality issues including some dodgy perfboard.  I think I'm past that.

It seems to mostly work, except I'm not sure of the volume. While there's interactivity on the volume pot and the gain pots, I'm noticing that turning the volume to 0 is not actually making the volume cut out completely.... It's still pretty loud.  It definitely gets louder when I turn it up.  Is this normal behaviour for this circuit?

duck_arse

the volume pot controls the signal fed to the amp chip input. if that pot is turned to zero, there is no signal, it can't be "still ... loud". most likely a miswired or faulty pot. photos of your built?
don't make me draw another line.

highwater

The LM386 input impedance is only 50kΩ, small-enough that adding 10kΩ in series (what you can get if the ground leg of the pot isn't connected) will make a noticeable difference in volume... but still be pretty loud.
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR