Recommended bare wire gauge (metric) for perf?

Started by Ben N, July 03, 2020, 08:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

marcelomd

For links/jumpers or offboard?

For links I use stripped CAT5 cable, which is 24AWG, or 0.5106mm, 0.2047mm2.

Off board I use a reel I bought some time ago, but I believe is the same diameter.

Ben N

Links. Offboard I will use the same stuff I use for anything else, which I think is 24 AWG. But is CAT5 really that big?
  • SUPPORTER

MikeA

I'm cheap, so I save the snipped-off legs of components and use those for links.  1N400x diodes legs are thickest, R and C legs in the middle, NOS transistor legs are thinner but way longer, I've never needed a link longer than one of those.   Mike
  • SUPPORTER

marcelomd

Quote from: Ben N on July 03, 2020, 10:01:31 AM
Links. Offboard I will use the same stuff I use for anything else, which I think is 24 AWG. But is CAT5 really that big?

Take a look:

I used he wire from a CAT5 cable on the bottom row and on the right column. It also fits nicely in a breadboard.

11-90-an

Quote from: MikeA on July 03, 2020, 12:00:52 PM
I'm cheap, so I save the snipped-off legs of components and use those for links.  1N400x diodes legs are thickest, R and C legs in the middle, NOS transistor legs are thinner but way longer, I've never needed a link longer than one of those.   Mike
I also attempted this... 1n400x legs barely even fit my perf...  :P

Quote from: marcelomd on July 03, 2020, 12:36:02 PM
Take a look:

Great solderjob! Mine looks like garbage...   :P

I suggest going the long and hard way of soldering that involes no wire except on the top... pure agony but your patience will multiply greatly...(so will fits of rage but, hey... 8) )
flip flop flip flop flip

strungout

"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

PRR

Quote from: Ben N on July 03, 2020, 10:01:31 AM...is CAT5 really that big?

"No more than 22 AWG and no thinner than 24 AWG, or 26 AWG for shorter-distance"

But I have been offered underground CAT6 with 19 gauge. And my house is plagued with CAT0 of 28-29 gauge.
  • SUPPORTER

digi2t

Quote from: PRR on July 03, 2020, 09:33:26 PM
Quote from: Ben N on July 03, 2020, 10:01:31 AM...is CAT5 really that big?

"No more than 22 AWG and no thinner than 24 AWG, or 26 AWG for shorter-distance"

But I have been offered underground CAT6 with 19 gauge. And my house is plagued with CAT0 of 28-29 gauge.

+1.

I used to be all fancy, and leave the insulation on, carefully trimming off just the ends after the bends. Then I got lazy smart, and just went all bare.

Got a 100' roll of telephone cable (4 x 24awg solid core) for a dollar off a liquidation table at the hardware store about 8 years ago. I won't live long enough to see the end of it.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

duck_arse

I pick it up off the footpath, near those street telephone connection nodes things, right where the tech chucked it. genuine telstra offcuts, dunno the gauge but it solders real easy. the insulation does NOT withstand soldering heat.
don't make me draw another line.

amptramp

I have a circuit board beside me that was done with component leads and telephone wire picked up beside a street junction box but I'm not using perf, I am using a pre-patterned board from Sayal.

Ben N

Quote from: digi2t on July 04, 2020, 10:02:56 AM
Then I got lazy smart, and just went all bare.
And in Canada, yet!
QuoteGot a 100' roll of telephone cable (4 x 24awg solid core) for a dollar off a liquidation table at the hardware store about 8 years ago. I won't live long enough to see the end of it.
Hey, I've got a bunch of that, that I think an installer left when my house was built. I should used it.
  • SUPPORTER