YATS with Baxandall tone stack

Started by Mr. G., December 11, 2008, 12:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. G.

I built a YATS using Deaj's perf layout, with a few mods, and really love the tones I'm getting.  However, I've been wanting to see if I can make it a bit more versatile by adding a Baxandall tone stack.  So, here is my proposed layout:  >YATS w/ Baxandall tone stack<

This is the first layout that I've created from start to finish, so could ya'll more knowledgeable people take a look at it to see if there are any mistakes?  I don't want to start building it and have it not work and have no idea why.

TIA!

slacker

Looks good I like the style of the layout, very neat.

There's one error that I can see, the + and - pins of IC1A are reversed. On the schematic Pin3 (+ input) should be the bottom one and pin2 (- input) should be the top one. All the components can stay where they are you just need to switch the pin labels over.
On the layout you just need to drop the trace from the C1/R1 junction to pin3 and connect the trace along the bottom of D1,D2,C2 to pin 2 instead.

Apart from that it looks fine to me :)

John Lyons

On a design note:
What is the difference between putting the second op amp stage
in the bax tone control (the tone control is in the feedback loop) as opposed to putting it before the second op amp stage?

As it's shown the op amp is within the feedback loop correct?

If the control is between the two stages you could make up some gain with the second stage that comes after...
Although the second stage IS probably adding some gain with resistance through the bass and treble pots.

Just thinking out loud here...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Mr. G.

@ slacker...  Good catch!  I'll get that changed ASAP

@ John Lyons...  The tone section is like it is, because I copied it (with minor changes based on parts I have on hand) from a Boss FA-1.  Haven't found too many other pedal schematics around (apart from the BB preamp, which uses the same tone stack as the FA-1) that have active Baxandall tone stacks.  So, I just used what I could find.

Mr. G.

I updated the layout.  The correct layout should appear after you hit refresh/reload.

Thanks for the help!

Ben N

Quote from: John Lyons on December 11, 2008, 02:47:38 PM
What is the difference between putting the second op amp stage
in the bax tone control (the tone control is in the feedback loop) as opposed to putting it before the second op amp stage?
I think the difference is that just putting the Bax between the active stages makes it like any other passive stack--cut only. In the FB loop it can boost. But I don't really know.

I'm too lazy to try to read a layout (as opposed to a schematic), but this seems kind of similar to the Xotic boosters in concept.
  • SUPPORTER

Mr. G.

Just posting a new layout in the DIYLC style.  I created it in Inkscape.

>YATS w/ Baxandall TS perf layout<

nexion777

I know, the thread is very old but... someone built that project over the past years? It works? I ask that because seem strange to me that Boss  did not projected the FA-1 using a similar circuitt topology (non inverting booster stage instead of the inverting one that we all knows), saving money for all the extra components needed for the input buffer. Just curiosity, the concept is very intriguing!  :)

robthequiet

The layout has been Photobucketed. Can't see.

nexion777

Here it is! :)

robthequiet

digi2t

Quote from: robthequiet on July 12, 2017, 07:18:34 PM
The layout has been Photobucketed. Can't see.

"Photobucketed"... the new multi-purpose term for @#$%ed up or over. :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK