(ot)photobucket heads up

Started by pinkjimiphoton, June 30, 2017, 11:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

dropbox peed me right off recently with their 'improvement change''

all my public link pics on here gone....

no more public folder....wtf... :icon_evil:

im now on postimage....for how long , who knows.. :icon_rolleyes:

these ''improvements'' even peed me off the other day on ebay..
demanding i have 500px wide pictures when i simply relisted an item...pain in the f...... ass..

evolution eh...pfft!!!..
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

duck_arse

Quote... come join us,

isn't this what the evil dead said in the original "Evil Dead" fillum?

also, I don't want to say bad about postimage, but I'm not sure all the thumbnails that are getting embedded in-page are all that convenient, what with the new tabs opening and the switching back and forth (and a new tab here flashes WHITE, nearly blinds me coming from "the prince of darkness" style). I don't follow as many thumbnails now as I might once have.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

aion

It's one thing for them to react against people using their service in unintended ways, but another thing entirely for them to offer a feature for almost a decade where they conveniently give you the direct forum embed code, and then rescind it. A huge loss of all of the countless photos that have been posted to countless niche forums across the internet.

The better route would be to disable sharing for all photos uploaded in the future, but I suppose that would be more difficult to implement.

davent

Quote from: aion on July 05, 2017, 11:22:43 AM

The better route would be to disable sharing for all photos uploaded in the future, but I suppose that would be more difficult to implement.

This is how i took the announcement, anything newly uploaded would be unlinkable or unembedable. I doubt it would be difficult to implement but would only lead to an even quicker site death as no one would continue using it for new uploads. An even quicker exodus to other sites.

dave

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

pinkjimiphoton

Quote...they suck they suck, and not only that, THEY SUCK....
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

PRR

> postimage, but ...the thumbnails ... new tabs

It is "possible" to use the 3-click embed thumb tool, then Preview, get the actual image link, re-edit your post to put the real image in-line. I have done that here; also used the width=100 tag so I don't waste space on a small point.

https://s16.postimg.org/ra4gajkx1/1-3.gif

But this makes more work for the poster, who has to follow the thumbnail to get the actual image URL and paste it back to the message.
  • SUPPORTER

reddesert

3rd party hosting costs storage and bandwidth. Someone pays for that. I think the dumb thing photobucket has done here is make the plan so expensive that no one will ever be tempted to buy it. But it's hard to see how their business model could ever make sense, because the experience of actually visiting the photobucket site was so painful, and it didn't add any value to the images.

The intelligent thing that imgur has done is to make their own site worth visiting, because it hosts a community of people leaving comments and having discussions under the images. So in principle, they could actually get revenue by showing ads on the pages, although I don't know if they are doing that or if it will be viable in the long run.

alanp

I wound up paying to get a website myself. Still haven't coded HTML for it, though, so all it has is a couple jpg's.

GGBB

In case anyone is interested, I have created a quick and dirty Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey script that hides the 3rd party hosting notice image and replaces it with a link. This is useful if the poster didn't use the Photbucket provided IMG text block (which also makes the image a link) and instead added the IMG themselves with a plain url.

For the uninitiated, Greasemonkey and Tampermonkey are browser add-ins that allow you to run a script on the page you are browsing.

Seems to work well. The only problem (?) is that it will replace all photobucket images, even ones that aren't blocked (as if someone actually paid for 3rd party hosting). But you can easily toggle the script off from the Tampermonkey button. It's configured to only work on diystompboxes.com, but you could easily change that.

You can get and install the script from https://openuserjs.org/scripts/gtranter62/PhotoBucketImageReplacer

Use at your own risk - no warranty is provided or responsibility is taken by the author (me).
  • SUPPORTER