Author Topic: Stereo jack problem  (Read 2729 times)

Leopold T

Stereo jack problem
« on: July 03, 2017, 09:13:21 AM »
Hi guys. I've been lurking for a while, this forum seems like an awesome resource.
I've ordered all the parts for the beginner project. The parts are coming from a few different companies so some have already arrived, the rest should be here in a few days. I decided to try and make something very simple with what has arrived already while I'm waiting.
So I made an LED circuit. It basically works. I want to be able to turn the lights on by plugging a lead into a stereo jack. This is where the problem arises. When I plug the lead halfway in the LEDs light up, but when the lead goes in the whole way the lights go off again. I can see why that happens. The lead is split by a narrow black band of plastic. But there must be something I'm doing wrong here. After all, I can plug the whole way into all my Boss pedals.

Can anyone help me out here?

EBK

Re: Stereo jack problem
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:17:13 AM »
Welcome!

What kind of plug and what kind of jack are you using?
Assuming you are using a stereo jack that doesn't have any switches, when you insert a mono plug all the way, it will short together the sleeve and ring contacts of the jack, completing your circuit and lighting the LED.  The tip contact of the jack should not be connected to your LED circuit at all, but I suspect that is where your problem lies....
  • SUPPORTER
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Leopold T

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 02:38:34 PM »
Maybe that's the problem, then. I didn't solder anything at all to the sleeve lug. One wire goes in ring lug 1, the other out ring lug two. Putting a lead in halfway connects these two parts. I'll try soldering one wire to the lug for the short ring, and one to the sleeve, then.

I get that in an actual pedal the socket would be on the actual LED circuit, this is just me experimenting with parts as they come, hoping to actually understand how everything works.

EBK

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 02:49:37 PM »
Just so we are on the same page with terminology:

Nothing wrong with experimenting.  Enjoy!
  • SUPPORTER
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

GGBB

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 03:44:15 PM »
Just so we are on the same page with terminology:

Nothing wrong with experimenting.  Enjoy!

Be sure to use a meter to check which lug connects with which contact (tip, ring, sleeve) since different brands of jacks may have the lugs in different positions.
  • SUPPORTER

Leopold T

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 04:33:34 PM »
I wired to the ring and the sleeve. Now the lights are working exactly as I'd hoped. Thanks a million.

For the purposes of pedal building, does the tip have any relevance at all?

EDIT: stupid question. The tip is where the actual guitar signal goes through.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:38:40 PM by Leopold T »