What makes a digital reverb sound like spring, plate, hall, room...

Started by Fancy Lime, March 19, 2020, 04:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital Larry

Quote from: Fancy Lime on March 23, 2020, 04:09:23 PM
Forests are quite interesting in terms of acoustics. .....
Does so much esoteric mumbo jumbo help explain what I mean at all?
Andy
That was amazing!  Last year I read this technical article about why water drops sound the way they do, and for a few months, whenever I went to the ocean, or by a stream, or river, or when taking a shower, I would close my eyes and move my head back and forth and just concentrate on the sounds spread out in stereo.  It's something that in the "where's my beer" of everyday life, one can easily forget to notice.

DL
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

Ice-9

Quote from: Digital Larry on March 24, 2020, 12:20:47 AM
That was amazing!  Last year I read this technical article about why water drops sound the way they do, and for a few months, whenever I went to the ocean, or by a stream, or river, or when taking a shower, I would close my eyes and move my head back and forth and just concentrate on the sounds spread out in stereo.  It's something that in the "where's my beer" of everyday life, one can easily forget to notice.

DL

I am with you on the water thing and one experiment you can try at home is to tell if you can tell the difference between the sound of hot water and cold water being poured into a glass, shut your eyes and get someone to do the pouring and listen to the difference. Physics is amazing stuff.  :icon_cool:
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Ice-9

Quote from: DrAlx on March 22, 2020, 06:11:57 PM
Quote from: deadastronaut on March 22, 2020, 02:58:09 PM
hi alex, thanks for doing this...not that i understand any of it lol.. :icon_mrgreen:

please excuse my dumb ass questions. :)

i uploaded your arduino sketch (as above) to the eeprom as directed by the text. all went well (uno)

does this now mean the eeprom has external sounds on it now?....(or is it just prepped to accept 'certain code')

and i just drop it back in the breadboarded circuit?

sorry told you i was dumb  ;D cheers rob .

If the serial port monitor in the Arduino IDE (Ctrl + ShitShift + M) gave messages like

"Verifying ROM_00: 512 Bytes written correctly"

then yes, the assembled code (the shimmer effect) is on the EEPROM and you can stick it back in the board with your FV-1.  It's the same program in all 8 EEPROM slots because the supplied ROM0.h to ROM7.h all contain the exact same program.

In order for the FV-1 to use the programs on that EEPROM (rather than it's internal 8 programs) you need to make sure pin 13 on the FV-1 is connected to the supply.  See the FV-1 data sheet.  I don't know what pin 13 is currently connected to on your board, but its probably grounded if you are using the internal programs.

Hi DrAlex, I Just have a quick question about the rom0.h to rom7.h format when using your NANO code for programming an EEPROM. The official SpinASM generates a *.h file for each program so will this work without the need to use asfv1 to make the conversion from .spn to .h  ?
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

DrAlx

Quote from: Ice-9 on March 26, 2020, 12:50:55 PM
Quote from: DrAlx on March 22, 2020, 06:11:57 PM
Quote from: deadastronaut on March 22, 2020, 02:58:09 PM
hi alex, thanks for doing this...not that i understand any of it lol.. :icon_mrgreen:

please excuse my dumb ass questions. :)

i uploaded your arduino sketch (as above) to the eeprom as directed by the text. all went well (uno)

does this now mean the eeprom has external sounds on it now?....(or is it just prepped to accept 'certain code')

and i just drop it back in the breadboarded circuit?

sorry told you i was dumb  ;D cheers rob .

If the serial port monitor in the Arduino IDE (Ctrl + ShitShift + M) gave messages like

"Verifying ROM_00: 512 Bytes written correctly"

then yes, the assembled code (the shimmer effect) is on the EEPROM and you can stick it back in the board with your FV-1.  It's the same program in all 8 EEPROM slots because the supplied ROM0.h to ROM7.h all contain the exact same program.

In order for the FV-1 to use the programs on that EEPROM (rather than it's internal 8 programs) you need to make sure pin 13 on the FV-1 is connected to the supply.  See the FV-1 data sheet.  I don't know what pin 13 is currently connected to on your board, but its probably grounded if you are using the internal programs.

Hi DrAlex, I Just have a quick question about the rom0.h to rom7.h format when using your NANO code for programming an EEPROM. The official SpinASM generates a *.h file for each program so will this work without the need to use asfv1 to make the conversion from .spn to .h  ?

Yes. But the header files produced by SpinASM would need some manual editing. The advantage of using the hacked asfv1 I put in the zip is that header will already have the necessary edits.

With SpinASM, if you put 8 effects into one project called MYPROJ, then you would get a single header file containing all 8 programs, and in the header there will be 8 lines saying:
   MYPROJ_00[] = {
etc ... 
   MYPROJ_07[]= {

You would need to edit those 8 lines to:
   const unsigned char ROM_00[] PROGMEM = {
etc ...
   const unsigned char ROM_07[] PROGMEM = {

The PROGMEM instruction tells the compiler that the data needs to go into the Arduino's onboard flash memory.

You should also make the header file use UTF8 encoding (use a decent text editor) to make sure the Arduino IDE reads it OK.

Then it's just a matter of editing the .ino file to "#include" that header instead of the 8 separate headers.

PRR

> a dry, unpretentious kind of reverb with almost no pre-delay and a longish but subdued decay and no resonances

Agree. That is what I hear here. My woods do look a lot like that video; if anything my trees are more uniformly spaced. (They were logged-out in 1947, when seedlings grow back they compete for space, and tend toward uniform spacing.)
  • SUPPORTER