silicon fuzz face..... no sound

Started by bettsaj, August 27, 2017, 06:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettsaj

Just built a silicon fuzz face, on a version 1 board, so remember the transistors have to be reversed. I've checked and double checked the wiring, and connections but can't find anything that would prevent it from working unless something is wrong on the board.

It's not in an enclosure yet, so just wired to test. The volume pot is working, but there is no guitar signal at all through the board. There's also no sign of any fuzz, or the fuzz pot doing anything. I'm sure it's something silly I've over looked..... Oh, by the way... The transistors are BC183L and BC183LC hence why the legs are crossed as the pin out is different for this board.

"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

bettsaj

sorted..... I had a broken track. re-soldered, now it's fine
"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

Cozybuilder

If your board layout is the same as the Dallas Arbiter pictured, you also have the 330R and 33K resistors in the wrong slots.

Edit: I traced it, you are correct, the parts layout posted is wrong.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

GGBB

Quote from: bettsaj on August 27, 2017, 06:21:44 AMso remember the transistors have to be reversed

Huh? I believe it's the power that has to be reversed along with the polarized caps. Transistor pinouts stay the same but become NPN instead of PNP.
  • SUPPORTER

bettsaj

When I populated the board, i followed the schematic and not the the picture. I also wired it from the schematic and not the board. It works perfectly.

The track for the battery positive lead  had a very small break in it where the copper had delaminated. I just repaired it with a small bit of solder and it's now working fine, and sounds brilliant.

That picture above may not be 100% correct...

goo

solder pcb's "ground" to jack's/pot's "ground".
in most cases (when i build fuzzes) if there's no sound you should check the "ground".
and it's better to solder trax (if not using point-to-point).
fuzzfuzzfuzz