Need some help to repair an MIJ HM-2

Started by sdk, August 29, 2017, 02:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdk

Hello,
I've got an MIJ Boss HM-2 but it doesn't work properly. When engaged, the sound is fuzzy and the LED is very dim. In bypass mode I get no sound at all. I've jumpered the wires 4 and 5 to accept the PSA adapters. I'm using a 9v 500ma one.
Inside everything looks fine, so I have no idea what can be wrong with it.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Schematic:

Mark Hammer

Does it function properly with a battery?

sdk

I bought it on Ebay, it came without the battery jack.

Mark Hammer

You mean no battery snap of the sort that normally fits under the foot treadle?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 29, 2017, 07:58:12 AM

Agreed! Spend the $0.50 and add a battery snap. Retest. If still fuzzy with dim LED then measure voltage at Pin 8 of any of the IC chips. See if you are getting ~8-9VDC. If not, then look at D2 and C2 to start.

Good Luck  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

sdk

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 29, 2017, 12:30:38 PM
You mean no battery snap of the sort that normally fits under the foot treadle?
Yup!
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 29, 2017, 02:37:41 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 29, 2017, 07:58:12 AM

Agreed! Spend the $0.50 and add a battery snap. Retest. If still fuzzy with dim LED then measure voltage at Pin 8 of any of the IC chips. See if you are getting ~8-9VDC. If not, then look at D2 and C2 to start.

Good Luck  ;)
I'll solder a new one in but first on sunday, I'm not home now.

Mark Hammer

Agreed.  There are so many tales here from those who posted that "the effect" works with a battery but not with an adaptor.

Keep in mind the HM-2 is a rather oldish pedal. The contacts in the external power jack might be corroded and very high resistance.  I've had plenty of older jacks that didn't behave well.

sdk

Probably a dumb question, but where should I solder the battery wires in? Negative goes to number 5 on the board but I'm not sure where the positive one has to be.

Mark Hammer

There's a pretty good chance that by now someone has posted a gutshot that shows all the wires in full color, and where they go.

sdk

On both battery and power supply I get 9vdc on the pin 8 of the IC's but when powered with a battery the LED doesn't light up and with the power supply same thing as before.

anotherjim

Reference the schematic, and find all those test voltages shown in rectangles. That should be a good trouble shooting start.

QuoteI get 9vdc on the pin 8 of the IC's
Battery ground should be on the ring contact of the instrument input jack socket. It won't connect to the circuit unless a plug is in the socket. Check you have 0v on pin4 of the IC's.

sdk