elec caps instead of ceramic

Started by Tombaxter97, September 12, 2017, 07:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombaxter97

http://pedalparts.co.uk/docs/EATrem-MkII.pdf

I only have 1u elec caps and not un polarised. Would it be okay to use 1u elec caps in the circuit as c6,7,8

GibsonGM

I'd do it, Tom.  Orient the "+" L, L and "up" for C6, 7, 8.  I've never had a problem doing this; I'm sure there is a 'best practice' that I'm avoiding, though, LOL.

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Tombaxter97

Ah thanks.

I'm putting them into the pcb so from that picture on the pdf which way should the negative leg go (up being top of page and down being toward bottom) as I can't work it out and can't see it being the same orientation for all three

duck_arse

we love the phase shift osc here Tom. and those caps provide hours of fun for everyone.

you'll have to noodle this for yourself, as I didn't see a pcb trace pattern, but here's the good oil - the collector of the osc trannie will be more positive, and the base of the trannie will be more positive, because the other end of those two caps will be attached to ground via a resistor/resistance. so, the one in the middle is connected to "less positive" at both ends. what to do?

doesn't really matter, put it in either way. you can take the fixed resistor leg to positive instead of ground, making one end very positive, and the other end less positive. or use poly caps and forget all about it.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

antonis

C6 & C8 negative legs to R11..
C7 negative leg to R10..

P.S.
You don't have to worry a lot about polarity 'cause J201 will beat them in a malfunction-time race..  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Tombaxter97

Thanks a lot for the help, going to give it a try tomorrow!