Pleasing tweak of a Foxx Tone Machine

Started by Mark Hammer, October 23, 2016, 07:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aelling

Quote from: Plexi on September 12, 2017, 05:43:49 PM
Nice!
ll try it.. basically you're turning the tone stack to a BM one, adding resistance to ground in the high pass filter.
Yeah, I was surprised at how well it worked. I always thought it was hard to get something good from the original tone control, this definitely helps a ton.

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 13, 2017, 03:59:01 PM
Just to follow up, I just fired up my modded Green Ringer clone.  The GR lacks the diode pair to ground that the Tone Machine, and Superfuzz have.  It uses the same approach to generating the doubling that the FTM does, though.  And the octave is fleeting, with some "bloom", but because the level dies away quickly, you don't really get to hear the bloom.

UPDATE:  Added a germanium pair in series with a 1k resistor to ground on the output of my GR and the octave comes through better with the inclusion of the crude compression that the diode pair provide.  Recommended.

Again, empirical support for the hypothesis that the diode pair is NOT for producing distortion, but for maintaining level.

yeah, i do that all the time. i don't use diodes for clipping the way most folks do anymore... just don't like the sound of it generally. but i DO use them all the time for adding compression and even for noise gating....by exploiting that compression... by adding led's as clippers <often in series with ge> and maybe a smallish cap you can make a bit of a noise reduction... since the led's don't clip til a volt and a half or so, they tend to make the signal fed to them louder before they break over and clip fairly gracefully. the ge's soften it more, and the cap can work as a bit of a low pass filter to take a little of the high end bite and breakup aways.

works fairly well in noisy fuzzes in the feedback loop between c and b if ya need to. not on all of 'em, but it sure seems to help once in a while.
peace

ps.. try the led and ge in series with the tone machine. i have a feeling you may like it. try it with ge's closest to ground, or you may like it with the led's closer to ground. very different sounds to my ears.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr