Author Topic: why distortion pedal making phaser sounds?  (Read 981 times)

11-90-an

why distortion pedal making phaser sounds?
« on: June 14, 2020, 12:11:42 AM »
so I made a nice working distortion/fuzz pedal (still on BB), and for some reason, when I play the 3 low strings of the guitar, it makes a small flanger/phaser/jetplane sound. It isn't really a problem, but I just want to know how this happens...
Here's the schematic...

Q1 is EBC (from top to bottom in schematic)
Q2 is ... I can't find any pinout of it... but it seems like its amplifying the signal... so I guess it's CBE (top to bottom in schematic)
flip flop flip flop flip

antonis

Re: why distortion pedal making phaser sounds?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 09:19:53 AM »
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

11-90-an

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 11:11:28 AM »
Turns out I drew the schematic wrongly and my circuit was correct... but it ended up as an emmiter follower (i guess thats what its called...) so didnt amplify the signal at all...  ;)

flip flop flip flop flip

antonis

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 03:50:06 PM »
May I suppose the above circuit is designed by yourself..??
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Digital Larry

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 04:34:16 PM »
Sale on 10k resistors?
Digital Larry
DSP tinkerer and former transistor twister

Mark Hammer

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 06:34:59 PM »
Sometimes, a circuit that comes close to clipping but only for a few moments, can produce a sort of filtering effect, especially if the clipping it does do is asymmetrical.  One good example is Tim Escobedo's "Jawari" circuit, which aims to produce a sound like an electric sitar.  http://www.jiggawoo.eclipse.co.uk/guitarhq/Circuitsnippets/jawari.mp3

11-90-an

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 07:44:07 AM »
May I suppose the above circuit is designed by yourself..??
yep! was just messing around on the BB
Sale on 10k resistors?
I used 10k pots to test all the good resistances for basically anything that needed resistance... and seems like 10k was what I almost always needed ;D
Sometimes, a circuit that comes close to clipping but only for a few moments, can produce a sort of filtering effect, especially if the clipping it does do is asymmetrical.  One good example is Tim Escobedo's "Jawari" circuit, which aims to produce a sound like an electric sitar.  http://www.jiggawoo.eclipse.co.uk/guitarhq/Circuitsnippets/jawari.mp3

tried the circuit with another green LED to make it symmetric clipping.. still had a subtle phaser...
flip flop flip flop flip