calling Doug H...firefly qs...

Started by swt, September 27, 2003, 12:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swt

Hey! Doug!. I think that pre/pedal/distortion is AMAZING for practice/recording. I'm planning on building one. Have a couple of qs. Can i just use a 220v to 10v transformer as the audio one?. I know there's no interleaving in a power tranny, but just for practice purposes...is it possible?. How about current draw, primary and secondary?. And also...current draw for the power one?. Thanks a lot!!
PS: forgot to mention that i also find the distortion boxes great. Specially the vox exp. You should patent them and make some deal with some company. Truly..they're really good!

Ansil

i didn't try the exact transformer you were talking of but i have used a 120 to 12.kv transformer and got good results..   could have been better, but not bad much better than anyone would lead you to beleive..

swt

what speakers load are you using?. Isn't that too mismatched?. As far as i know it's like 1600 into a 16 ohms load. And the schem shows 8k. How does that sound?.

Ansil

i didn't do any math on it.. .lol, or i probally would have still had it on the pen and paper stage.    i just plugged it up and hoped it didn't explode.

it had a nice crunchy sound,  although there was a slight metallic overtone that would occure sometimes..  maybe a harmonic..  maybe a meltdown..

Doug H

Note that I made a change to the schematic. I'm now wiring up my 125a output transformer for a 22.5k primary impedance. I like the sound of it. It firms up the mids and smooths out the sound. I also adjusted the conjunctive filter cap to open up the highs a little more, since I lost some with the higher impedance.

You can use a power transformer for an output transformer if it has the impedance ratio you want to use. I have never tried it though, so I don't know how it sounds.

Doug

Peter Snowberg

I've heard some tube folks talking about using 120:6.3VCT transformers for outputs. All the references were on hi-fi sites and they talked about the lack of bass, but that may not be much of problem here. :D

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation