Build a (Tayda) RAT.

Started by italianguy63, September 30, 2017, 05:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

italianguy63

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Ben N

Quote from: italianguy63 on November 14, 2021, 06:14:42 AM
The little one!

And all thru-hole! That is insane! Kudos, and I won't be trying that.
  • SUPPORTER

bamslam69

Quote from: mwelch55 on November 11, 2021, 10:40:31 AM
I built a Tayda Rat a couple of years ago.  I made it with all of the correct values.  I installed a 12 position rotary switch with all of the diode clipping options I could thing of.  The first position is without clipping diodes.  It makes a really good clean boost.  My Rat pedal is one of my favorites.

Actually going to do something similar, but thinking about using a DIP switch arrangement, so you can add in whatever clipping arrangements. Dumb move?
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

iainpunk

i think that dip switches can be really cool for inside a pedal, but another thing that impacts clipping a lot more that people realise is the 1k resistor before the signal hits the diodes. on my breadboard, i used a 5k trimmer and a 330 ohm resistor in series, to change the curve/knee and the treble amount in the distortion, going from bright and hard to softer and darker.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

bamslam69

Finally built my RAT, but just from the layout on the tagboard effects site. I added the 8 switch DIP board for diode clipping, and currently have it set at some random red LED's.
The thing sounds wicked! Can't wait to give it a run at band rehearsal.
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

iainpunk

has anyone done a cmos rat yet? i think an opamp driving a cmos gainstage into distortion would be cool.
to match the amount of distortion created by diode clippers, and to keep the opamp in control of the frequency spectrum, the gain of the CMOS inverter stage should be low, like really low. i think between A= 5 and 10, quick and ditry calculations say 7.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Ben N

Quote from: iainpunk on January 26, 2022, 05:52:35 PM
has anyone done a cmos rat yet? i think an opamp driving a cmos gainstage into distortion would be cool.
to match the amount of distortion created by diode clippers, and to keep the opamp in control of the frequency spectrum, the gain of the CMOS inverter stage should be low, like really low. i think between A= 5 and 10, quick and ditry calculations say 7.

cheers
That sounds cool, but what is Rat-like about it?
I'm pretty sure peeps have built Rats with a CA3140, so that's one way to get CMOS goodness in a RAT.
  • SUPPORTER

iainpunk

Quote from: Ben N on January 27, 2022, 09:35:35 AM
Quote from: iainpunk on January 26, 2022, 05:52:35 PM

cheers
That sounds cool, but what is Rat-like about it?
I'm pretty sure peeps have built Rats with a CA3140, so that's one way to get CMOS goodness in a RAT.
what makes a rat a rat is the frequency response of the opamp and its negative feedback loop. using cmos in the way described doesnt change this, as it has the same ''relative gain'' as diodes would have.

CA3140 isn't cmos, its bipolar for the most part, but uses 2 input mosfets, AKA Bi-MOS. you want the 3130 or 3160 for that.
just substituting the 308 for a cmos or bi-mos opamp, where it has its cmos gain stage inside a strong feedback loop and still utilising diode clipping, is wildly different than replacing the diode clipping with cmos clipping.

cheers

cheers

PRR

Quote from: iainpunk on January 27, 2022, 06:25:51 PM...CA3140 isn't cmos, its bipolar for the most part, but uses 2 input mosfets, ...

Correct. An odd old duck.

• SUPPORTER