Can I use two green ringers in series?

Started by FUZZZZzzzz, September 16, 2017, 02:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUZZZZzzzz

I've build the earthquaker devices tentacle today, which is very much a green ringer with a couple of small changes. Should have done this sooner. Very cool effect. I was wondering what the result would be if I build another one and put two in one enclosure in series. Has anyone tried this before? Does this make sense? I've tried it together with Tim's Jawari, but that just sounds gated and very crap (and not in a good way)

"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

Plexi

It could work, I guess...

But, what I would do?
Put the first Tentacle (or the one you could switch off) without, what I guess, is the buffer recovery stage: ahead the 2N5089, starting on it.
Put there a coupling cap, would say 100n?

That out buffer/recovery stage maybe acts as input buffer to the 2nd Tentacle, causing some oversaturated input.

My 2 cents
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

FUZZZZzzzz

that's a pretty interesting idea. thank you!

also, it does very little for example bass guitar. maybe double the input cap or put a boost in front of it.

Is this the part you're talking about?

Mark Hammer

I actually started a thread earlier in the summer or spring about two octave fuzzes in series ( http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=117687.msg1093381#msg1093381 ).  I have a bunch of different ones and one day decided to plug one into another, and the results were very nice indeed.

The thing to be concerned with is to make sure that there isn't too much harmonic content from the 1st one going into the second one.

And be sure to replace the 1N4148 diodes with Schottky type for better tracking and more reliable octaves.

Plexi

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on September 16, 2017, 02:48:46 PM
Is this the part you're talking about?

Exactly!

Mark, nice one: any Schottky suggestion?
1N5819?

Mark Hammer

FUZZZZzzzz

Some valuable information in here. Thank you!!!!

I guess I need to order some Schottkys ;) My local supplier stocks 8 different types. Should be something useful there.

blackieNYC

It's hard to imagine the Jawari working nice with anything dirty. That pedal is capable of the worst sound I think I could achieve. And only pick as close to the bridge as possible. A true one-trick-pony IMO.
I like a large boost with a severe treble cut before an octave. Did it so I didn't have to roll back tone, and it is 200%better - but of course if I do roll back it gets better (so I guess I failed). Compression is probably very good too.
Mark - did you then get two octaves up?  Alone, if there is no blend?
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

pinkjimiphoton

after seeing dweeze play FZ's guitars with green ringers in them a few weeks ago i am ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE
that green ringers should be BEFORE any fuzz or distortion. after they tend to be just kinda splatty and shitty sounding.
the octave effect is trippy as hell before say, a PE experience pedal.

dweezil managed to do something i'd only seen frank do... which was exploit the ringer being first, so that when he was playing with his wah in particular, you couldn't tell which octave his runs were actually in. its trippy as hell.

other than that, i have never found a good use for this circuit, and two in a row didn't help waaaaaay back when WD gave up on them and my bud matt ended up with a couple cases of "broken" effects. i tried the whole series. all kinds of combinations. two green ringers weren't very musical, thin, clashy badly biased fuzz sound kinda. not for me, anyways..

try it before fuzz. analog tom swears by it. dweezil does it. frank did it. i gotta agree its the best way to fly, contrary to popular opine on the web.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Mark Hammer

Jimi's post only serves to underscore how important it is to filter, filter, filter before feeding something to a doubling circuit.  Analog doublers, because of the circuits involved, will always generate harmonic content that wasn't in the input.  Feeding that to a second doubler will get you  even more.  The trick is to filter what you feed the first one, and filter the first before feeding it to a second.  Turning the tone down, picking above the 7th fret, and only using the neck pickup will make the first one behave, but with nothing in between, the first one will make the second one misbehave.

thermionix

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 17, 2017, 01:34:08 PM
i am ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE
that green ringers should be BEFORE any fuzz or distortion.

Definitely.  My green ringer clone sounds like crap on its own, but rocks with a FF or BMP after it.  Put the wah in front, it's a trip.

Plexi

Only a fuzz?
I guess something simplier than a LPB1 or treeble boost can help a lot here

FUZZZZzzzz

Today, I build a Tycobrahe Octavio clone and put them in series.. green ringer first. really cool... kinda glitchy, sometimes robotic but always very cool. cool enough to put them both in one enclosure but need to try another green ringer first and put two of them together.
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.nl/2013/04/tycobrahe-octavia.html

thehallofshields

It's too bad the GR doesn't output a nice clean Triangle Waveform. Then you could double your frequency ad infinitum.

Mark Hammer

I have one more day of paid employment left, before retirement.  I'll see if I can whip up a video demonstrating a number of different octave-up units in series.  I'll try some fuzzes after as well.

Plexi

Will be great, Mark..!
I wait for ir: don't you forget your Foxx's TM!

thehallofshields

Has anyone tried this yet? I imagine the output waveform will have bizarre harmonics.
_              _____                _____
   \     |    /            \      |     /
    \   /\  /                \   /\   /
      \/  \/                  \/   \/

thehallofshields

Just realized you'll get something totally different depending on which way you fold the waveform in the 2nd pass.  :icon_eek: