FV-1 Sparkle / Crackle Noise on Reverb Signal?

Started by nguitar12, October 28, 2017, 10:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nguitar12

So I have just finished my FV-1 build. Everything  working fine except there are Sparkle / Crackle Noise on Reverb Signal. All other effect working great and completely clean just come with noisy Reverb. The noise seem to appear also inside the SpinCAD Designer. Can someone please suggest a possible solution to this or the chip supposed to act like this? Thanks.

Ice-9

Are you using the FV-1 internal programs or an external EEPROM with the programs on that?
More info on what you mean by crackle, could it just be you have a long decay setting and it is just the long reverb tail or is it a cracke of distortion ? Clarification needed.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

nguitar12

Quote from: Ice-9 on October 28, 2017, 11:04:57 AM
Are you using the FV-1 internal programs or an external EEPROM with the programs on that?
More info on what you mean by crackle, could it just be you have a long decay setting and it is just the long reverb tail or is it a cracke of distortion ? Clarification needed.

Iam using the internal programs. I dont know how to decribe the cracke so I recorde a short clip hope it will explain.

https://clyp.it/kef1fuyv

There are cracke all over the reverb signal for example 00:09 to 00:12 is very noticeable

Thanks

Digital Larry

Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

Ice-9

Turn the decay of the reverb down, does it still have this noise artefact ?  Have you cleaned all the solder joints on the FV-1 chip with any flux cleaner, dirty flux around the solder joints can cause bad nise problems, check all solder joints on the FV-1 as well. After this it could be a damaged chip. Did you buy the FV-1 from the official suppliers?
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

nguitar12

I later on found that the crackle noise exist in every effect. It is the most noticeable in reverb effect. If it is due to the damaged chip will using a external epprom resolve the problem? Currently I am just using the internal effect.

Ice-9

If the IC is damaged then it will not help if you use an external EEPROM, the most likely problem could be a bad solder joint or the flux from soldering needs cleaned of properly, the best cleaner is aerosol solvent flux cleaner, NOT a water based cleaner as that will create similar problems.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

nguitar12

Quote from: Ice-9 on October 29, 2017, 01:52:14 PM
If the IC is damaged then it will not help if you use an external EEPROM, the most likely problem could be a bad solder joint or the flux from soldering needs cleaned of properly, the best cleaner is aerosol solvent flux cleaner, NOT a water based cleaner as that will create similar problems.

Cleaned the broad and the noise still exist. I am thinking of just building another one with other chip. Do you think isolating the digital ground is needed? I know the crackle noise is not related to this but if this approach will better increase the S/N ratio I would like to give it a try.

octfrank

Try a basic delay program, if the crackle is cyclic then it is most likely a damaged RAM location and you need to swap out the chip.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

nguitar12

Quote from: octfrank on October 30, 2017, 11:49:05 AM
Try a basic delay program, if the crackle is cyclic then it is most likely a damaged RAM location and you need to swap out the chip.

The delay program will have random crackle which I am not sure whether it is :cyclic:
I think I just have to grab another chip.

Digital Larry

Reduce signal level into the chip, and/or (since he mentioned SpinCAD) check the input gain of any blocks in the control panel.  By default they are at 0 dB.  Some of them may not even have an input level control which would mean you'd want to put at volume block in front and reduce the gain to - 6 dB or lower.  If it's just clipping due to excessive signal level, eventually you'd expect that to help.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

Ice-9

If you think it is clipping due to excessive input level then you should also see the clipping led blinking (if you have one fitted).
www.stanleyfx.co.uk