PCB Insulation

Started by sliberty, October 30, 2017, 09:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Quote from: rockhorst on October 31, 2017, 06:42:37 AM
I'll post a picture of the tape and how I use it later. Maybe I'm missing something here, but these problems are alien to me.
Sometimes fear of problems is the problem.   :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

italianguy63

Quote from: EBK on October 31, 2017, 07:02:13 AM
Quote from: rockhorst on October 31, 2017, 06:42:37 AM
I'll post a picture of the tape and how I use it later. Maybe I'm missing something here, but these problems are alien to me.
Sometimes fear of problems is the problem.   :icon_wink:

Like politics.
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

EBK

Quote from: italianguy63 on October 31, 2017, 07:39:49 AM
Like politics.
You had to mention the scariest thing possible on Halloween, didn't you?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

anotherjim

If you want something that looks more professional than gunk or sticky tape, buy hard plastic sheet, or cut it from packaging. Clear acetate sheet looks good and can be bent up to make locating tabs if you don't want to glue it.
Get it from craft/modelling suppliers. Heat resistant is available.
Example...
http://www.stix2.co.uk/a4-clear-heat-resistant-acetate-sheets

marcelomd

Kapton tape is widely used for this kind of stuff. Also heat resistant.

Groovenut

Here's how it looks applied. It does have some self leveling properties. This is just one coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

ElectricDruid

Quote from: anotherjim on October 31, 2017, 02:25:02 PM
If you want something that looks more professional than gunk or sticky tape, buy hard plastic sheet, or cut it from packaging. Clear acetate sheet looks good and can be bent up to make locating tabs if you don't want to glue it.
Get it from craft/modelling suppliers. Heat resistant is available.
Example...
http://www.stix2.co.uk/a4-clear-heat-resistant-acetate-sheets

Yep, that's stuff I was talking about! I guess it must be the same as the old overhead transparency sheets, since those projectors used to get really hot.
My solution for holding it in place is to drill holes in it for the pot legs to go through rather than making tabs. I use the PCB for a guide before I put the components on it - draw around it or at least mark a bit big enough to cover the pots, and then poke a pin through the PCB holes to mark the drill holes.

amptramp

I still have a sheet of fishpaper, the grey cardboard material that used to be used as a spacer and insulator in consumer electronics decades ago.  It always seemed to do the job.

blackieNYC

Quote from: J0K3RX on October 30, 2017, 10:00:42 PM
Could try hot glue stix.. you can get them in all different colors and it peels off fairly easy if needed..

I like hot glue to hold down ICs and socketed components BUT I've found you have to make sure a little glue gets under the IC socket, thus wrapping around the component on 3 sides. If I don't do this they come off quite often. You just pick at it a little and you can get it all off quickly.

Insulating a PCB, I use electrical tape BUT I fold it over on itself so there is no stickiness.  And for this one I put a ground plane inside (foil):
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

PRR

The home store has felt pads for furniture feet, if you fear having two sticky-sides.

"Fishpaper" is (for this purpose*) same-as "paper gasket" stock at the auto parts store. When you fix a 1929 Chevy in a hurry, and do not have the carb gasket, you cut one out of gasket paper. It comes in small and large sheets, thick and thin; start with the smallest thinnest one. Maybe $7? (A rip-off price but still barely profitable to keep in stock.) It does not self-stick, use dab of glue. (*If you have to insulate high-voltage motors, even 120V switches, the auto-parts stock may leak electrons. There is a starter motor repair shop on the industrial side of town which has electrical fishpaper, and may toss you a scrap no-charge.)
  • SUPPORTER