MXR Headphone Amp not working (SOLVED)

Started by Meehah, November 03, 2017, 08:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meehah

I have spent this afternoon building this project but it is not yet working. I've checked and double checked the soldering and component layout but I still could have missed something. It makes a noise when putting the transistors in and the battery. Here's the debugging info.

1. Name of the project: MXR Headphone Amp

2. Here's the veroboard layout I used: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/mxr-headphone-amp.html and here's a schematic as well as some general info: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/boosters/headphone-amp/

3. I completely followed the veroboard layout above and made no modifications or anything. There are two comments from people who have successfully built it so the layout seems fine.

4. I used the 2n3904s they recommended, used a 2M2 instead of just a 2M as I couldn't buy a 2M, and I used a 47k and 10k in series as I forgot to buy the 56k resistor.

5. It's not a positive ground.

6. It makes popping noises when you clip the battery on and put the transistors in but nothing else. No hum or anything. Q1 becomes hot while the battery is plugged in. Hot enough to be very uncomfortable to hold after a few seconds. Q2 is not nearly as hot and neither is the IC. I don't know if this is normal but it seemed a bit off.

Here's the measurements (transistors, IC, and diode numbering is from the very layout)

IC1
P1: 0.241V
P2: 1.508V
P3: 1.85V
P4: 1.4 mV
P5: 115.0 mV
P6: 1.616V
P7: 7.18V
P8: 19.4 mV

Q1
C: 7.10V
B: 2.19V
E: 1.5V

Q2
C: 1.8 mV
B: 0.835V
E: 1.495V

D1
A: 2.19V
K: 1.612V

D2
A: 1.616V
K: 0.836V

Any help would be very much appreciated as I'm well and truly stumped. Thanks in advance.

duck_arse

meehar - can we see? can you show some photos of what you have built (don't be shy), component side, copper side and off-board wiring, please? nice and clear, but not too HUGE, please!
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Kipper4

V+=7v Change that battery.
Debug first though.
What voltages are you getting at the R12 R13 node? see below

I've bought stuff from fuzz dogs. I'm sure he would test stuff before shipping.
He's a decent bloke.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Meehah

Thanks for your help everyone. Here's the top of the board:

And here's the underside:

Here's the offboard wiring.

I'll go up to the shop now to get a new battery and then will test the voltages.

Meehah

I found a new battery that is giving 8.98V. The R12 and 13 reading is 3.82V. I have rechecked P7 (the power one) and even with the almost perfect battery, I'm still getting 7.45V.

Meehah

I solved the problem. Turns out the vero schematic meant use a 2n3904 for Q1 and a 2n3906 for Q2 not just two of either. I took out Q2 and it's working well. I might do a build report after I get a 2n3906 for Q2.