Started by Austrian, November 15, 2017, 11:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radio

All dealers have marked it out of stock,thats why I asked
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

PRR

> a mechanical engineering degree instead of electrical engineering

Machine makes a high pitch vibration. Users complain.

Do you add a spring? A mass? Or both?

In typical mechanical design, you already have a mass, you add springs so the mass can vibrate but the springs make a high-cut for the vibrations going toward the users.

In electronics, we can use a cap and choke. But frequently the demands are so slight that we can use a cap (think mass) and a resistor (roughly a hydraulic damper). Loss is greater, but amplification is incredibly cheap, so the drag is not a drag.

Yes, mechanical<->electronic analogs can get confusing fast, unless you pick one (of several) rational schemes. With good basics, electronic analog computers were widely used for mechanical problems before the digital computer ate everything.
  • SUPPORTER

Austrian

Quote from: BetterOffShred on November 23, 2017, 02:06:19 PM
This is why I got a mechanical engineering degree instead of electrical engineering  ;) 

I'll probably just breadboard what I drew up and see what happens. I'll also make sure I use Du's amendments.

Let me know if it works...

abc1234

Quote from: antonis on November 23, 2017, 12:09:15 PM
Quote from: abc1234 on November 23, 2017, 11:20:14 AM
You're now acknowledging it isn't a "HIGH pass" filter and it doesn't need a "series resistor" because what comes before it provides the resistance... Did you not read the schematic (of either the Bog Fuzz or Pixel) and see what it was driven from?
Maybe you didn't read carefully what I've wrote...

I said it isn't a LOW pass filter...
(at least, not with a series resistor before it - if you consider C5 as short at high frequencies it's a classic HIGH pass filter)

Nope. I read it carefully and you wrote:

Quote from: antonis on November 22, 2017, 05:43:39 AM"In your scheme, it's a HIGH pass one".

So, again, did you actually read the schematic of either the Bog Fuzz or Pixel? Because 1) you're still referring to the isolated low pass filter section rather than the complete schematic from which it originates; and 2) you're still insisting it's a "HIGH pass filter" because it lacks a "series resistor before it".

Quote from: antonis on November 23, 2017, 12:09:15 PMIn real world, there aren't "pure" High-pass or Low-pass filters..

Who mentioned "pure" high pass or low pass filters? Whether it's "pure" (whatever that means) or impure is not the point that's being made; maybe you didn't carefully read what I wrote but the point is in the "real world" the filter works as a low pass as demonstrated in the video and from the personal experience of both BetterOffShred and myself.

And more importantly than this, when someone asks for help like BetterOffShred did, if you don't know the answer then don't offer one and then repeatedly insist it's correct despite "real world" evidence to the contrary. It misleads and deters people from learning and even asking questions in the first place.

antonis

Quote from: abc1234 on November 24, 2017, 05:36:40 AM
And more importantly than this, when someone asks for help like BetterOffShred did, if you don't know the answer then don't offer one and then repeatedly insist it's correct despite "real world" evidence to the contrary. It misleads and deters people from learning and even asking questions in the first place.

OK.. till now it was just fun but I see you insist on your ABOLUTELY WRONG point of view..!!
(skipping over the fact of potentially personal derogation due to your writing manner..)  :icon_mrgreen:

If you want to consider a Series Cap and a Shunt Resistor as LOW pass filter, it's fine with me..
If you insist that this very arrangenment worked as a LOW pass one on your breadboard/circuit, it's still fine with me..

After all, I'm also a Mechanical Engineer (like BetteroffShred) so plz leave me in my blissful ignorance..  :icon_biggrin:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Menegozzo

Quote from: Hatredman on November 23, 2017, 04:31:40 PM
Quote from: radio on November 22, 2017, 08:10:52 AM
@Menegozzo:

When will the BOG be available again?

Because I feel more inclined to buy a pedal thats still in production!

Thanks for any answer!
The BOG is still in production, it was never discontinued.

Buy yours at deeptripland.com
That's right, Hatredman, but we've been flooded with orders for the last few months and all dealers have been working on waiting lists since then. We're working hard to restore our ability to keep pedals constantly in stock everywhere even with the current huge demand, we expect to achieve that by the beginning of 2018.
At the moment we have dealers in the USA, UK and Australia, and we also sell direct to any part of the world (although we had to pause direct orders due to the waiting times, but we plan to reopen those soon).

radio

Quote from: Menegozzo on November 24, 2017, 10:38:46 AM
Quote from: Hatredman on November 23, 2017, 04:31:40 PM
Quote from: radio on November 22, 2017, 08:10:52 AM
@Menegozzo:

When will the BOG be available again?

Because I feel more inclined to buy a pedal thats still in production!

Thanks for any answer!
The BOG is still in production, it was never discontinued.

Buy yours at deeptripland.com
That's right, Hatredman, but we've been flooded with orders for the last few months and all dealers have been working on waiting lists since then. We're working hard to restore our ability to keep pedals constantly in stock everywhere even with the current huge demand, we expect to achieve that by the beginning of 2018.
At the moment we have dealers in the USA, UK and Australia, and we also sell direct to any part of the world (although we had to pause direct orders due to the waiting times, but we plan to reopen those soon).
No biggy I will wait! Thanks for your answer! Good luck for the future of your company.

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A5000 mit Tapatalk

Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

Menegozzo

Regarding the low and high pass controls, BetterOffShred isn't far from our solution, although the current production BOG model (that we call v2) has many more differences to the original v1 circuit in the drawing. The pre-gain high pass filter does some incredible things to the fuzz face circuit (just be sure to work on the values and control configuration to find the best way to do it) and a post-fuzz low pass adjustment makes it much more useful with different amps and speakers.

Besides that, my experience on pedal making has thought me that a lot of what makes a pedal really useful to a musician is how the controls work intuitively to someone that doesn't have the technical knowledge to understand the details in electronics. That's much less in "what's in there"  and much more in "HOW it is done" and "how you present it". In other words, sometimes you have the perfect control idea, but it works (or you explain it) in a way that doesn't ring the bell to the very people that should love that.
Just my two cents in circuit design.  :icon_smile:

BetterOffShred

Very cool man. Thanks for sharing.  I'm no circuit designer but I do know what I like to hear.  Like I said previously my high and low pass designs there are just clipped from other stuff mostly,  but I really do like the low pass on the pixel. It sounds good with that fuzz,  but that fuzz isn't really super musical.. I mean it's glitchy and sputtery  y design

Austrian

Thank you Du, you are a great guy!

Menegozzo

You're welcome, guys. Have fun, spread love and information around!  :icon_biggrin:

Quote from: BetterOffShred on November 25, 2017, 05:00:15 PM
Very cool man. Thanks for sharing.  I'm no circuit designer but I do know what I like to hear.  Like I said previously my high and low pass designs there are just clipped from other stuff mostly,  but I really do like the low pass on the pixel. It sounds good with that fuzz,  but that fuzz isn't really super musical.. I mean it's glitchy and sputtery  y design
Most of the circuit bits we see around are pretty much clipped from something else, that has a lot to do with what I wrote above regarding the "HOW you do it": sometimes the solution you need is just implemented somewhere else in a different way and needs just some careful thought and twist to fit perfectly in your circuit idea.

About the glitchy sputtery fuzz, I agree that it's some strangely popular stuff these days considering the usefulness in real musical situations. That's why Deep Trip's thing is exactly the opposite: delivering that as a side option in extreme settings, but focusing on the musical, practical guitar tones I hear on the classic records. Consequently, our pedals are often seen in rare spots for fuzz pedals, like in traditional Brazilian music settings (very close to samba and to the African roots of our music), for example. We want to make tools for music, offering new means and paths for artistic expression and development. Sometimes I see musical gear that looks/sounds like an actual artistic piece by itself, like the end point of someone's artistic expression, and I have a very hard time trying to understand what's all that for. In my humble view, instruments and accessories should always focus on being tools for artists, not artsy stuff themselves.

Austrian

Hmmmm, I've now built the circuit with the proposed changes from Du to a breadboard.
But it does not work ...... I still have bugs inside!

Austrian

Hmmm..... still does not work properly - is probably on the wiring diagram   ???

pinkjimiphoton

can someone please repost this schematic? i'd like to take a peek at it. thanks!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

bluebunny

No problem.  Can't have you deprived of your fuzz!   ;D   Might have to board this myself, too...  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

see reply #26 before youse builds to that ^ circuit diagram.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

bluebunny

A timely reminder!  Thanks, duck.
  • SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

i will, indeed!!!

might as well face it me droogies, we are addicted to fuzz.

the government had me register as a fuzzaholic. true story!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr