Echo Base Delay modulation less intense at fast repeat setting?

Started by nguitar12, December 06, 2017, 10:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nguitar12

I just build a Echo Base Delay based on the following thread:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=60662.1440

It is working well but I found that the modulation is less intense at fast repeat setting. Let say I just need to turn the Mod knob at around 9:00 position to get a nice chorusy sound. When I faster the repeat time the chorus effect simply gone an I need to turn the mod knob to higher position to compensate. Just wonder if it is normal?

Mark Hammer

Yes, it is normal.  At longer delays, the effect that the modulation circuit has on the combined parallel resistance of the 39k and transistor results in a more audible "boing" in the delay time.  At shorter delays the impact of that on audible fluctuations in delay time is reduced.  The same is true when I mod my chorus pedals to have short, medium, and longer delay ranges.  I always have to trim back the sweep width when the delay time is extended.  It's just how hearing and human perception works.

nguitar12

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 07, 2017, 12:53:59 PM
Yes, it is normal.  At longer delays, the effect that the modulation circuit has on the combined parallel resistance of the 39k and transistor results in a more audible "boing" in the delay time.  At shorter delays the impact of that on audible fluctuations in delay time is reduced.  The same is true when I mod my chorus pedals to have short, medium, and longer delay ranges.  I always have to trim back the sweep width when the delay time is extended.  It's just how hearing and human perception works.

Thanks for your input. Do you think if there are any solutions on this?