Resistor wattage choice

Started by Pmelius, January 29, 2018, 10:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antonis

Quote from: thermionix on January 31, 2018, 01:05:10 AM
Quote from: Rob Strand on January 30, 2018, 09:23:16 PM
Then they are really old...probably from the 60's

1967, 40th week.

With PZ (or is it PH..??) head drive screws instead of Slot ones..??  :icon_eek:
(tighten with a smaller (or enough worn) screw driver..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

Quote from: EBK on January 30, 2018, 09:43:13 PM
Quote from: thermionix on January 30, 2018, 08:53:54 PM
Quote from: EBK on January 30, 2018, 07:28:02 PM
to make this happen

Nah, I checked and one of them is definitely shorted, the other doesn't inspire much confidence either.
If a transistor is behaving like a short, I say solder that sombitch in as a jumper somewhere to teach it a lesson or at least serve as an example to other transistors who may be thinking about taking the "easy" route.   :icon_twisted:

really, really make sure they are dead by drilling up thru the heatsink into the flange, and then stuff a proper transistor (maybe a TO106?) into the hole. who'll ever know? and you'll also have faked some 3155's.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

thermionix

Quote from: antonis on January 31, 2018, 06:40:58 AM
With PZ (or is it PH..??) head drive screws instead of Slot ones..??  :icon_eek:

Phillips head screws came out the 39th week of 1967.

antonis

Quote from: thermionix on January 31, 2018, 03:53:18 PM
Quote from: antonis on January 31, 2018, 06:40:58 AM
Phillips head screws came out the 39th week of 1967.
Are you sure there were PH screw-drivers availaible three weeks later..??  :icon_cool:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

EBK

I bet the screws are fakes.  :icon_razz:

Interesting historical note:  The Phillips-head screw was patented in 1932, and the screwdriver for it was patented in 1933.  In 1934, Phillips applied for a patent on using them together.   :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Rob Strand

QuoteInteresting historical note:  The Phillips-head screw was patented in 1932, and the screwdriver for it was patented in 1933.  In 1934, Phillips applied for a patent on using them together.
From what I remember the Phillips head was deliberately designed to slip (particularly when used with power tools.)
Posidrive is the opposite!

Another historical note is the TO-3 package was design to fit in a tube socket - so it must sound closer to tubes?
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

PRR

1932, John P. Thompson invented a screw head, the screwdriver the next year. The recess was VERY deep.

1935 he sold the stupid idea to Henry F. Phillips who got 3 improvement patents (including less-deep recess) and shopped it around. By 1936, Cadillac was using it. The killer advantage is self-centering in power driven assembly line screwing.
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

Quote from: PRR on February 01, 2018, 11:12:56 PM
power driven assembly line screwing

"Well, if it's gonna be THAT kind of party..."