What kind of sorcery is this? Transformerless power supply

Started by guidoilieff, January 09, 2018, 12:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guidoilieff

I found this state of the art thing on the street. It has a lm317k and a 317L. The front panel is labeled with a "12 - 24v" and "0 - 12v" switch. There are two bananna jacks and a male DC plug connector and a potentiometer to regulate the 317.

The main cable that plugs to the wall is connected to two fuses but there is no transformer.

How is this supposed to work? Why two 317? Can I use it to test my pedals? Thanks!

digi2t

Four diodes bridge. Insert AC. Diodes convert it to DC. Regulators reduce the DC to the required voltage. One regulator for the 12-24, the other for the 0-12.

Oh, oh, oh, it's magic.... you knoooooow. Never believe it's not so.

I would be hesitant to power a pedal with it though. A) Looks home made, so on the safety side, dubious. B) Anything with a capacity to "accidentally" blow through 9vdc is not something I would use on a test bench. Probably because I would be the first one to "accidentally" forget that I set it to 15v to test something else, and then hooked up a 9v circuit.  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Ice-9

If that is how it is wired then there is no mains isolation at all and could prove lethal. By all means draw out the circuit to confirm but I would just strip it down and save any useful parts for other uses.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

GibsonGM

Transformerless = no isolation, just like Mick said.   

It is standard practice when working with low volt stuff like we do, to use some form of transformer....barring some very strange and catastrophic circumstances, no matter what you do, the line voltage won't "jump through" and bite you.  The current delivered by a transformer is also limited.    When converting something like an old radio that is mains-powered for 'modern use', you use a 1:1 isolation transformer for just this reason - to avoid ever having a hot chassis.

That puppy could be dangerous.  They get points for creativity, though, ha ha.   Found "on the street" - probably not FDA approved  ;)   
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

wavley

Quote from: Ice-9 on January 09, 2018, 01:29:45 PM
If that is how it is wired then there is no mains isolation at all and could prove lethal. By all means draw out the circuit to confirm but I would just strip it down and save any useful parts for other uses.

Yep, either get an isolation transformer or strip it, please don't use it.

There are vacuum tubes that run straight off the mains voltage for the heaters (which can be 117 volts, or wired in series to make 117 volts)  My shop refuses to work on them without installing an iso transformer, fuse, and grounded chassis.  If the circuit designer was too cheap to use a transformer, then the circuit is too cheap to die over.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

guidoilieff

Quote from: digi2t on January 09, 2018, 01:09:53 PM
Four diodes bridge. Insert AC. Diodes convert it to DC. Regulators reduce the DC to the required voltage. One regulator for the 12-24, the other for the 0-12.

Oh, oh, oh, it's magic.... you knoooooow. Never believe it's not so.

I would be hesitant to power a pedal with it though. A) Looks home made, so on the safety side, dubious. B) Anything with a capacity to "accidentally" blow through 9vdc is not something I would use on a test bench. Probably because I would be the first one to "accidentally" forget that I set it to 15v to test something else, and then hooked up a 9v circuit.  :icon_wink:

So the mystic being that owned this apparatus had an external transformer for this thing. The big 317 regulates from 220v to 12v?... I guess I'll just scrap the parts and make a new one.

Thanks for the reply

digi2t

Smart move. Bad enough I thought it was on 120v.

220V?

:icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

GibsonGM

Quote from: guidoilieff on January 09, 2018, 01:42:56 PM

So the mystic being that owned this apparatus had an external transformer for this thing. The big 317 regulates from 220v to 12v?... I guess I'll just scrap the parts and make a new one.

They COULD have had a 1:1 transformer external to that, but it doesn't look that way due to the power line having a plug on it, etc....maybe it plugged into something else that had an outlet, who knows.    It was part of someone's "bench", probably, that they had some purpose for, and it probably got the job done for them.  But I don't see it being useful for the things we generally do here, no...maybe someone told them it was dangerous and they tossed it!! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

wavley

Quote from: GibsonGM on January 09, 2018, 02:00:31 PM
Quote from: guidoilieff on January 09, 2018, 01:42:56 PM

They COULD have had a 1:1 transformer external to that, but it doesn't look that way due to the power line having a plug on it, etc....maybe it plugged into something else that had an outlet, who knows.    It was part of someone's "bench", probably, that they had some purpose for, and it probably got the job done for them.  But I don't see it being useful for the things we generally do here, no...maybe someone told them it was dangerous and they tossed it!!

I can see where it would be possible that somebody was powering this off a variac and that's why it has a regular plug, that's plausible and safe in that situation.  It's not something I personally would do because I would never put a plug that *could* be plugged into the wall on something that wasn't supposed to be plugged into the wall.  Little 24v (or whatever non-tube voltage) transformers are too easily pirated out of something common and broken if I were just throwing something together out of spare parts.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Rob Strand

Another possibility is it ran from a lower voltage, not 220V AC, and someone has used a mains plug for the LV connection.   

Re-purposing mains plugs is dangerous.  It kills *other* people.  People who find stuff.

If you draw-up the ckt it will be obvious what the range of input voltages were.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

EBK

The device in question is clearly a trap of some sort. 

It doesn't kill, but instead has more of a "stun" effect, causing potential victims to stop and endlessly question its inner workings and purpose.  Its appearance is designed to leave it unnoticed by most animals, and quite ingeniously, its ambiguously dangerous looking innards are designed to actually keep it away from electrical outlets so it has a greater chance of being in an open area, more noticeable to potential victims.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Transmogrifox

trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Rob Strand

QuoteThe device in question is clearly a trap of some sort.
Set by Psycho Neighbor:  "I know how to stop that guy testing stompboxes at 2am."
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

highwater

"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

guidoilieff

EVERYBODY! I FOUND THE ANSWER!

It was somebody's project for a technical school. Judging by the components its and old artifact made in the 90's A.D.  The name of the school was etched on the copper side.

Sorry if I didn't get your answers before and thanks for reposting them. The best theory so far is that you plugged that thing into something else. Possibly into a degenerate experiment of the professor.

aaaaand sorry for my english

imJonWain

ahh technical HS electronics projects <3.  My teacher had an ancient neon sign transformer that I swear made almost 10" arcs.

trace it anyway!
  • SUPPORTER
TFRelectronics

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

guidoilieff

Quote from: imJonWain on January 09, 2018, 10:57:03 PM
ahh technical HS electronics projects <3.  My teacher had an ancient neon sign transformer that I swear made almost 10" arcs.

trace it anyway!

I already disassembled it and made a power supply, but I can juxtapose the top and bottom layer

guidoilieff

I know this doesn't help at all, but that's the most I can do now.