Silly DSP quest_ion

Started by Danich_ivanov, December 27, 2017, 01:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danich_ivanov

Wanting to get into dsp someday, i've been googling it for awhile, but a question that still remains is: are there any decent dsp's that aren't smd, but rather a standard pt2399 style "dip" format? Really don't see myself going that microscopic with something like sharc, i'm not equiped for this.

Thanks, and a Happy new year.

ElectricDruid

The dsPIC series are a good way to start. They're not super-powerful, but they're pretty good when you start using the full DSP features. The best bit is that you can get 28-pin DIP chips for the breadboard. The 33FJ64GP802 and 33FJ128GP802 (same chip, different amounts of ROM) also include an on-chip 16-bit DAC. Unfortunately it's fairly noisy, but you can't have everything. It works well for digital oscillators, since you can run the output at maximum signal level and swamp any hiss. I've also used it successfully for other modulator designs (envelope generators and various LFOs and random signal generators). It's great for this sort of stuff, because you've got 6 ADC inputs you can use for control knobs or CV inputs, and then you've got the stereo DAC for 2 outputs. Dead handy. Probably my favourite chip despite the DAC noise. There's no other chip with similar features, so it doesn't have much competition!! I don't know of another genuine DSP that is available in DIP format.
You'll get better performance out of a 32-bit processor and an external codec, but then you'll definitely be into SMD. The easy way to solve that is use something off the shelf like Axoloti or similar.

HTH,
Tom

Danich_ivanov

Thank you very much, this is exacly the answer i was hoping for, i'll keep on digging.