News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Vero Traces

Started by airguitar, December 28, 2017, 12:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airguitar

Hi i use a screwdriver to cut the traces and then pass a blade along the lines to make sure not to leave any copper.Is that a good way ?
i post some pics too

EBK

I use the corner of a wood chisel. Similar to your approach, but the sharp blade is good at cleaning the copper at the edge of the cut.  Just be careful with those little bits of copper sticking up.  You don't want them to accidentally bridge between rows if they happen to move around.

Some people use a drill bit to cut traces as an alternative.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

airguitar

i tried just now with the blade seems a better job no piled copper

stringsthings

I use a drill bit that I just twist my fingers.
After making all the trace cuts, I check for shorts with a DMM.

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: stringsthings on December 28, 2017, 12:56:41 PM

Exactly what I do.
A drill bit of 4mm is good for me.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Kipper4

Quote from: stringsthings on December 28, 2017, 12:56:41 PM

Pragmatic and systematic.
I've used the drill bit in hand method with sucess, vero on a flat surface and a light touch else you might break some of the traces or snap the board if the vero is handheld.

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

antonis

A drill bit of 3 - 3.5 mm for cuts and a 0.6mm saw tooth blade for clearance between neighbour traces should be more than fine for the job..

Despite final visual inspection & continuity test results, I always clear finished board traces with the saw tooth blade and wipe them with a toothbrush..

(I could also mention final cleaning using compressed air but I don't wish to accept sarcastic emoticons..)  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Les Turnbull

Am I the only one with a proper Vero cutting tool .

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

EBK

I had one of those cutting tools once, but it snapped in half from the force I had to apply to get that thing to actually cut.  Never again.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

duck_arse

I lost my proper tool years ago, and it didn't have spiral flutes, just the spot face cutting erm, thing, on the pointy end.

airguitar - yr screwdriver does an admirable job. those boards need a clean with a scotch-brite type cleaner pad, then solder.
don't make me draw another line.

antonis

Quote from: Les Turnbull on December 29, 2017, 07:40:47 AM

Substitute "far-fetched expensive" for "proper", plz...  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Ice-9

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Andrekp

I use a primer hole deburring tool, because I have it on hand. Works great and is likely pretty much the same thing as the "official" very cutting tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

highwater

+1 for a handheld drill bit. Doesn't take much effort, and makes a pretty clean cut (at-least with a sharp bit, and any other kind is only good for holding timing-belt tensioners loose).

But then again, if I had the sort of phillips-head screwdriver that actually un-screws instead of stripping the screw, I'd definitely consider using that... but they're almost as rare as plexiglass-to-aluminum welding rods ;).
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

bluebunny

Quote from: Ice-9 on December 29, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
Quote from: Les Turnbull on December 29, 2017, 07:40:47 AM

Nope.  :icon_wink:

Me too.  (Neither?)

I have one of these, but you have to take care not to turn too much or else it goes clean through the board!  (It's very sharp.)  I've also got one that's more like a counter-sink: not nearly so sharp (and therefore more effort), but it does beautifully smooth track cuts.  Came from Farnell, I think...
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...