Need some double checking of my wiring diagram.

Started by karlholz, December 30, 2017, 07:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlholz

I need a very simple on off pedal for my rig to use when switching between guitars. I've been reading a lot on the internet but it seems like every schematic I see is slightly different and it's making my head spin! I've made my own schematic based on what I think is the best way to go about it but I was hoping for one of you more knowledgable folks to double check me?

Questions I have...

1.) Do I need to jump pins 3 & 6 to make it true bypass? I'm not sure why I would because when the switch is off the input and output are connected to each other via wire making a direct connection?

2.) Will I get a "pop" when pressing the dpdt footswitch? if so what value resistor should I use and where in the circuit does it get placed?

3.) I'm assuming a standard DPDT switch will work even though I want a LED in the circuit? I have a extra 3PDT switch I can use if that would be better? I wasn't sure because if I bridge pins 3 & 6 wouldn't that introduce a ground single from my power source into my guitar inputs creating a hum?

Thank you guys in advance! I had a bunch of extra parts laying around and I love learning new things and making things myself, I know this pedal I'm trying to make is about as simple as the come but this is my first one!

imJonWain

1. Nah

2.  You'll get a click from the switch maybe, shouldn't get a pop as there isn't really a circuit there

3. It should work fine as is.  There isn't any reason that I can see to connect 3 & 6, the separate grounds shouldn't be an issue in this case and might be better.

Good luck!
  • SUPPORTER
TFRelectronics

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

thermionix

I think your diagram is pretty much the ideal way to do what you want.  The LED comes on when the audio is muted, so in normal operation there is no draw on the battery.

iainpunk

I do expect a pop when you mute it this way, i recommend a 100 ohm resistor between the tip of the in and the switch. This will also protect active pickup systems from short circuit when muted like this.
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

karlholz

Quote from: iainpunk on December 30, 2017, 06:26:17 PM
I do expect a pop when you mute it this way, i recommend a 100 ohm resistor between the tip of the in and the switch. This will also protect active pickup systems from short circuit when muted like this.
Do I need a resistor on both the tip of the input AND output, or just the input? Also how do you calculate the size of the resistor needed? I have seen plans from this style mute switch and almost every version has a different value resistor and some don't have one at all? Will a resistor effect tone at all?

Thank you!

thermionix

I would try without first.  You might get a little "static" pop, but nothing like what would result from stored voltage in a cap.  IMO.

If you put this right after guitar, any pop noise will be increased by gain in pedals, echoed by delays, etc.  If you put this after all your effects, right before the amp, it will make the least amount of pop or noise.