Passive volume box

Started by bilo01, December 30, 2017, 12:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bilo01

Hi, been here years ago and was never a really good diy. Want to build a passive volume pedal as a one klick boost for my solos. Can anyone help me with a diagram?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Who is the best guitarist in the world they asked Jimi. Don't know, ask Rory he said.

GibsonGM

Welcome Bilo!

Here, someone already solved your problem: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19549-state-of-the-stomp-build-a-preset-volume-box

Google is your friend!

I prefer to BOOST for leads rather than using this approach, but whatever you want to do is just fine!

Happy building!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

stallik

If you want it to be passive then all it can do is to lower the volume, not boost it. It would still work in the same way as the volume pot on your guitar. You could play at three quarters volume and then go to full for solos which may work for you. Is this what you want or do you want to increase the level above 100% guitar output? If that's the case, active is the only way to go

Edit: Ahh. Mike beat me to it
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

bilo01

Quote from: GibsonGM on December 30, 2017, 12:07:50 PM
Welcome Bilo!

Here, someone already solved your problem: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19549-state-of-the-stomp-build-a-preset-volume-box

Google is your friend!

I prefer to BOOST for leads rather than using this approach, but whatever you want to do is just fine!

Happy building!
Thnx for replying so quick. Very useful.

Who is the best guitarist in the world they asked Jimi. Don't know, ask Rory he said.

bilo01

Quote from: stallik on December 30, 2017, 12:11:27 PM
If you want it to be passive then all it can do is to lower the volume, not boost it. It would still work in the same way as the volume pot on your guitar. You could play at three quarters volume and then go to full for solos which may work for you. Is this what you want or do you want to increase the level above 100% guitar output? If that's the case, active is the only way to go

Edit: Ahh. Mike beat me to it

Thnx Stallik. I'm gonna try the passive one first and then see what happens

GibsonGM

Quote from: bilo01 on December 30, 2017, 12:27:40 PM
Welcome Bilo!

Google is your friend!

Happy building!

Try it out (it is very easy, and you can mock it up with just the pot to see what it is like).   

Like Stallik was saying - an active boost, perhaps a JFET, Opamp or (my favorite) Mosfet boost,  can really sound nice and get you loud enough for leads to punch through.   

I have always found that trying to play rhythm with the pot turned down enough killed my tone.  Only good for a few quiet, cleaner passages, not rockin' stuff.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

stallik

Yeah, turning the pot down can sound poor but there are many good guitarists that made their name by cranking their amp and controlling everything from the guitar. Personally I find this harder to do with a plethora of effects so it probably depends on how and what you play.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

GibsonGM

Sure is (difficult to do).   Jerry Garcia supposedly had an Out on his guitar (using a stereo jack and cord)...run that out to his effects, then BACK into the guitar, then thru his volume and tone pots...so the effects would always see the same input voltage, and therefore not sound different when he turned his volume back!
  • SUPPORTER

bilo01

Quote from: GibsonGM on December 30, 2017, 02:20:48 PM
Sure is (difficult to do).   Jerry Garcia supposedly had an Out on his guitar (using a stereo jack and cord)...run that out to his effects, then BACK into the guitar, then thru his volume and tone pots...so the effects would always see the same input voltage, and therefore not sound different when he turned his volume back!

If there's one booster i'ld like it's the Rory Gallagher tribute Hawk 2 by Flynn Amps. He used only the original version on his amp to get his killer tone. When you see him play he's adjusting his volume constantly. Never saw a diagram of that one but it's my holy grail

bilo01

Quote from: GibsonGM on December 30, 2017, 01:52:04 PM
Quote from: bilo01 on December 30, 2017, 12:27:40 PM
Welcome Bilo!

Google is your friend!

Happy building!

Try it out (it is very easy, and you can mock it up with just the pot to see what it is like).   

Like Stallik was saying - an active boost, perhaps a JFET, Opamp or (my favorite) Mosfet boost,  can really sound nice and get you loud enough for leads to punch through.   

I have always found that trying to play rhythm with the pot turned down enough killed my tone.  Only good for a few quiet, cleaner passages, not rockin' stuff.

I think i'll have a go with the Mosfet boost later. Wanted to start with the passive box from the link but i only got a reverse log 500 k pot. Would that work also?

GibsonGM

Search the internet high and low, Bilo - you may find that booster!  The schematics are out there....

Yes, a 500k rev log pot will work, for you to try this out, but for a permanent build you'll want a typical audio taper ("normal" log taper; the pot will be marked "500KA").   

If you're using humbuckers, the 500k value is likely the right resistance; the reverse taper will just mean the control will feel 'bunched up'.
  • SUPPORTER