White paint under clear laser decals

Started by runmikeyrun, January 10, 2018, 02:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runmikeyrun

Hey all.

I've been trying to figure out how to get a white under layer for my clear laser decals.  As you know the colors have to be on a white background for them to represent properly.  I really love all the finishes on the PPP enclosures so I hate to just use a white enclosure every time.

I've tried a couple methods, with what I feel are unacceptable results. 

1.  Masking off the area and hitting it with spray paint.  Leaves a noticeable ridge where the masking tape was after the decal is applied.

2.  Painting the area with a paintbrush and white Testor's paint.  The paint is too thick and looks lumpy under the decal.

The obvious is to use the white laser decal sheets, but the toner cracks where I cut it, whether I use scissors or a brand new razor blade, leaving white cracks appearing along the edges.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

EBK

You could try using white decal stock, but instead of trying to carefully cut out your graphics, try to match the background graphic color on your decal to your enclosure color
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

vigilante397

I've done this before, using method #1 with the spray paint.

The best results I had were using THIN coats of paint. It doesn't take much to get the job done, and the thinner the coat the less likely you are to get that ridge from the tape edge.

I've also spray painted without using the tape and just cleaning up areas I didn't want white on with acetone and a q-tip, which also gave smooth results and no ridge.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com