J201 substitute

Started by ma, November 06, 2003, 12:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ma

:?: hi, my english is bad.
Please, help me. I want make the BSIAB (brown sound in a box) or Booster 2.5. There are J201 FETs. They not on sale here. Can i substitute J201 to other similar FET? And will the sound badly or not? Please, answer me, anyone. :?:

brett

The 2N5484 is a fairly close substitute.  They both have fairly high Vgs(off) values (-0.3 to -1.5V for the J201, -0.3 to -3V for the 2N5484.  Otherwise a 2N5457 or 2N5485 (these are fairly common).  There won't be any audible difference.

Like you, I can't get J201s easily here (Australia), though I did order some from Small Bear.

Have fun!
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Thomas P.

Sometimes a BF245 will do the job, too :wink:
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

aron

Please check out the DIY FAQ.

bettycat

The J201 has slightly more gain but the 2N5457 sounds a lot better to my ears. I tried it some circuits like the OS, Mini Booster etc. and always with the same result. Give it a try.

WGTP

NTE458 is a had a little more gain and should work.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

ma

:shock: thanx to all! you really help me.

petemoore

I like NTE458's, they output more than any of the others Iv'e tried, however I've gotten usable results even with [lowly' MPF102's, they're lower output but sound just fine in most of the ckts I've used them in, Stratoblaster and Phaze45 being two of them, but [the 102's] they're still lower output.
 I got a slew of [40] J201's from mouser and have pretty much decided to go with them, cause they work great and the NTE's are 'pryC' they pry cash from your edkts budget.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.