XP100 to XP300 thoughts...

Started by 1878, January 24, 2016, 03:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Everyone

I would like to convert my XP100 into the XP300. I believe I have one of the easier models to mod (photo below) and I was wondering if I could run some questions by you.

If I am doing a straight conversion rather than the XP1000 mod, am I right in thinking I would only have to add the RAM chips, tantalum caps and swap out the Eprom chip ??

If this is the case, is it worth buying an Eprom writer or seeing if someone would sell me a pre-programmed chip ??

Is there any way I could convert this to run on 9vDC along with my other bits and bobs by using a MAX1044 or some equivalent ??

Thanks in advance...

digi2t

If memory serves me, you'll need the 300 eprom, the sdram to fill the slots, tantalum caps... and I think that's it. Hopefully Govmnt_Lacky will call in here to confirm. I'm sure that I'm forgetting a thing or two. :icon_rolleyes:

Forget about powering this on 9vdc. The 9vac is there for the following reasons;
- There is bipolar power in this.
- It requires a lot of power.
For these reasons, using 9vac allows the unit not only to rectify and feed both sides of the dc requirements, but ac adapters tend to be smaller for the same current rating.

A MAX1044 would never meet the power needed by the unit.

As for the eprom, PM me. I've provided eprom programming in the past. You might try PM'ing Govmnt_Lacky as well.

If you would like to learn more about the conversion process, you can check out the XP-100 to XP-ALL build doc in the gallery. I realize that it's more than you want to do, but much of the simple XP-300 conversion can be dumbed down from the XP-ALL conversion doc.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Thanks for the reply.

I printed all the docs off last week & read them a few times. I 'think' I'm correct in what I've come up with. RAM > caps > chip. Saying that, if it's wrong I'll be able to take it back to original specs without too much trouble.

I didn't hold out much hope for the DC conversion. The finished article will be on a separate board with a couple of other bits, so I'll have plenty of room for another power supply.

Thanks for the offer of selling me a chip too. I'm gonna look tonight to see how much the Eprom stuff would set me back because I've seen a couple of other projects I could use it for too. I will be in touch either way.

Thanks again.

digi2t

Just to clarify; I don't sell the actual eprom, I only provide the programming service. I can however guide you as to the proper eprom to purchase. You purchase the eprom, mail it to me, I burn it, and I send it back to you. The only fee I charge is for the return postage, the service is free.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

Not a problem. I've done a bit more research & the RAM > caps > chip will be all I need for a straight conversion. Currently looking at Eprom writers. There are a couple of other projects I can use it for, which means I can justify the initial layout ;)

Thanks for all your help.

marmaliser

If you end up needing a pre programmed Eprom just PM me. I am in the UK which will cut down on the postage costs

Govmnt_Lacky

The parts you listed to make the conversion are correct.

- Programmed EEPROM
- (3) RAM chips
- Tant caps for RAM chips

All of these will work however, the XP300 will NOT work in stereo unless you add and remove some other parts.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

digi2t

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 27, 2016, 08:39:38 AM
The parts you listed to make the conversion are correct.

- Programmed EEPROM
- (3) RAM chips
- Tant caps for RAM chips

All of these will work however, the XP300 will NOT work in stereo unless you add and remove some other parts.

DANG!! I knew I was forgetting something! My trusty foot soldier saves the day.... once again. I am not worthy! :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

Govmnt_Lacky

Also... I have never seen a RAM chip like that in a factory XP. All of the chips I have seen were either from ZMD or NEC. Have you checked the pedal for operation completely?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

The unit works fine 'as is' apart from a bit of lag when using the whammy settings. I bought it off Ebay 5 or so years ago & it's been part of my collection rather than something I use regularly due to the aforementioned lag. I quite like some of the wah settings though.

othernaut

Hello friends,
I want to convert the XP200 to the XP300, any chance I could either snag the code, and instructions for writing it on whichever EPRAM is best, or elsewise somehow get a hold of some assistance from you gents with it?  I'm pretty stoked to do the conversion, and glad to contribute in whichever monetary form works best for you.   ;D
humble mumble

SeanRoberts

I'm looking to do this mod as well. From my understanding, starting with the XP-400 should be the easiest path, since it already has 3 of the 4 ram chips installed, yes?

I'd also love to save some effort and purchase an EEPROM loaded with the XP300 software form someone. It seems like a pretty interesting build for a fantastic pedal. I've had a fascination for the space station ever since I heard Eugene from Autolux use it on bass. Found out from Juan and Nick's video the other day that this mod can even be done. Still doing my reading. Guidance appreciated. There's a lot on this mod here on the forum to sift through. Can anyone link me to the most relevant posts?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: SeanRoberts on April 18, 2016, 02:28:10 PM
I'm looking to do this mod as well. From my understanding, starting with the XP-400 should be the easiest path, since it already has 3 of the 4 ram chips installed, yes?

Yep. All you really need is another RAM chip, an IC socket for the RAM chip, a tantalum cap, and an EEPROM programmed with XP300  ;)

Most don't like to start witht he 400 since it is often the most expensive to purchase second-hand (after the Space Station of course...)

SeanRoberts

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 18, 2016, 04:38:43 PM
Quote from: SeanRoberts on April 18, 2016, 02:28:10 PM

Yep. All you really need is another RAM chip, an IC socket for the RAM chip, a tantalum cap, and an EEPROM programmed with XP300  ;)

Most don't like to start with the 400 since it is often the most expensive to purchase second-hand (after the Space Station of course...)

That makes sense. It's a fair bit more, but still a screaming deal over buying a space station. Your name is all over the internet as THE guy to see about XP300 EEPROM's in the US. Would I be able to procure one from you?

marmaliser

Here is the review, they dont actually have an XP All and in the blurb they state "(Note: The XP-100 CANNOT be modded into a Space Station."  which we all know to be wrong info.
http://www.pedalsandeffects.com/blog/2016/4/10/pedal-review-digitech-space-station

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: SeanRoberts on April 18, 2016, 05:06:20 PM
That makes sense. It's a fair bit more, but still a screaming deal over buying a space station. Your name is all over the internet as THE guy to see about XP300 EEPROM's in the US. Would I be able to procure one from you?

Send me a PM if you are still looking for one.

SeanRoberts

Quote from: marmaliser on April 19, 2016, 07:42:46 AM
Here is the review, they dont actually have an XP All and in the blurb they state "(Note: The XP-100 CANNOT be modded into a Space Station."  which we all know to be wrong info.
http://www.pedalsandeffects.com/blog/2016/4/10/pedal-review-digitech-space-station

I'm guessing they were put off by the lack of a socket for the EEPROM.

AstroJimmy

This sees cool! I watched that Pedals&Effects video and decided it would be a fun project. Now that I've built my first clone, I'd like to do do what seems like a fairly simple conversion.
My only real question is how much it costs. It looks like I can get a pre-modded 100>300 for about $300 on ebay, or a Jetpack mod kit and a 100 for about the same price. Is it less than
Can anyone tell me where the best place to source the components are? Would it be less than the $200 to get the jetpack mod kit?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: AstroJimmy on January 09, 2018, 04:42:19 AM
This sees cool! I watched that Pedals&Effects video and decided it would be a fun project. Now that I've built my first clone, I'd like to do do what seems like a fairly simple conversion.
My only real question is how much it costs. It looks like I can get a pre-modded 100>300 for about $300 on ebay, or a Jetpack mod kit and a 100 for about the same price. Is it less than
Can anyone tell me where the best place to source the components are? Would it be less than the $200 to get the jetpack mod kit?

Unfortunately, the prices for XP100s, 200s, and 400s has gone up considerably in the last year. Probably due to the release of the XP conversions. Used to be able to get a used XP100 with power supply for about $75-80. Now, you are lucky if you can get one for under ~$150

If you can find a good deal on a used XP and you source the parts and do the work yourself then, it is MUCH cheaper than the options you referenced.