Author Topic: Help building a pedal  (Read 1939 times)

meeko85

Help building a pedal
« on: January 19, 2018, 04:12:28 PM »
Hi! Noobie here! I'm a really bad learner and I've tried to get information from all over the web. I'm having a hard time finding answers to my questions..maybe because of my googling skills  ::) At this point following schematics is too hard and I thought I could make sense to things by drawing my plans for the pedal. Would you say this could work?

I'm trying to do it without prefboard and put it inside a small cardboard box. Does it matter which way I solder diodes, capacitors and resistors?

I hope someone can help me and please ask me more details if you need!

Thanks!

EBK

Re: Help building a pedal
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 05:18:01 PM »
This may take a while....
But, hopefully, we can eventually help you make some progress. 
First, read through the FAQs linked above to get a bit more familiar with some basics, including individual components and schematics.  Believe it or not, a schematic is not too different from what you sketched out.

Once you've read a bit, try to give us a bit more info about what you are trying to build.  Where did you get that arrangement of parts idea from before you created your drawing? 

That's about all I can offer at this point, but keep asking questions, and be patient enough to learn.   :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

meeko85

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 07:33:53 PM »
Hi, thank you for your reply. I have to say that I'm a really bad learner when it comes to theory, I'm more of a hands-on kind of learner. I get overwhelmed really easily when there is lots of new things to learn. My mind just gets mixed up and it's hard to go on from there.

I'm trying to make a basic fuzz/dist/overdrive pedal with bypass/off switch, pontentiometer to control the effect and with ligth indicator.

I took step back and found really basic DIY pedal tutorial from youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv5iQ_aenX8

..and it worked!!! So, step 1 completed, I have basic fuzz pedal :) It sounds very DIRTY and it makes awful noise when I connect my guitar to it, but it works  :icon_mrgreen: I had to use 1uF capacitor instead of 100nF, I guess that makes it so harsh.

I made my own drawing of it

..and I tried to make a schematics out of it

Did I get the schematics right?

What would be the next step, adding the switch or potentiometer?

duck_arse

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 09:38:47 AM »
welcome to the forum, meeko85.

your 3u3 cap is drawn wrong on yr circuit - your layout dia shows it connected to the transistor base. you also take the output from the other end of the C2, not from ground (which, by law, has no signal on, ever).

I would suggest you look for the "bazz fuss" and variants, it looks vrr similar to your circuit. they will give you some hints. also have a look at the sticky topics at the head of this board, they will have a great many answers to some of the questions you will ask.

do you have a breadboard and a multimeter?
"I think we're done here."