Aion Refractor (Klon clone)Issues

Started by Big mike 1100, January 26, 2018, 07:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big mike 1100

would it make sense to

Make sure that the resistors and caps etc are the right sizes again?  I've done it a few times, but will do it again if that could be the reason for the issue?

Or with the audio probe, is there a point on the board where gain and tone might work and then just stop working? 

• SUPPORTER

Big mike 1100

So the good news is that I got the pedal working.  There was no connectivity between R25 and Lug 3 of the volume pot.  I made the connection and all pots are working.  There is a lot of static (like from an AM radio) and hiss though when the pedal is engaged but each pot works as it should, I believe.  I'm not sure if it's a grounding issue or some other issue.  All thoughts welcomed as to how to diagnose.

Thanks!
  • SUPPORTER

Slowpoke101

I sent you a PM (personal message) a few days ago that has a step by step procedure with expected results that may help you. Did you receive it?
  • SUPPORTER

Big mike 1100

Thanks Slowpoke- Being new to the forum, I didn't realize there was a message box.  I'll print out your instructions and work on it tonight and tomorrow and report back with results. 

Much appreciated!
  • SUPPORTER

Big mike 1100

Slowpoke- I finished your steps with a few issues and sent you a pm.  I think the issues are stemming from IC2- perhaps pin 1 and 2?
  • SUPPORTER

Big mike 1100

So I pretty much have everything working with this pedal.  It's really a fantastic distortion pedal and I highly recommend putting one together.  It took me quite a while to debug, but I think that one big lesson had to do with the PCB board mounted Pots.  When I thought they weren't working and replaced them, I think I might have broken internal connections in the board.  I think it's pretty easy to do, since you can't just unsolder one wire at a time- I kinda heated a lug, pulled it out, heated another lug and pulled it out, etc..  I didn't remove all of the solder in each hole and had to take pliers and pull each one at a time which probably ripped some connections- In my case it was R25 to lug 3 of the volume pot, as well as the resistor that connects directly to lug 1 of the gain pot (can't remember which at this time, but you get the idea)- After using the audio probe and checking for connectivity, it was easy to spot, but took a while to get there!

My last issue is that when I strum a hard chord and Gain pot is turned fully, it yields a distorted clicking/choppy/helicopter noise and then settles to normal distortion as the chord rings.  When its turned  at 97%gain or less there is no issue. 

Slowpoke, I know you mentioned that it could be a feedback or grounding issue. The pedal works perfectly except when the guitar is struck hard at 100% gain- Volume can be high or low and it happens.  If I just lightly pluck a string at 100% gain, it also doesn't happen.

Any thoughts?

• SUPPORTER

EBK

Quote from: Big mike 1100 on March 01, 2018, 10:29:18 PM
I think that one big lesson had to do with the PCB board mounted Pots.  When I thought they weren't working and replaced them, I think I might have broken internal connections in the board.  I think it's pretty easy to do, since you can't just unsolder one wire at a time- I kinda heated a lug, pulled it out, heated another lug and pulled it out, etc..  I didn't remove all of the solder in each hole and had to take pliers and pull each one at a time which probably ripped some connections- In my case it was R25 to lug 3 of the volume pot, as well as the resistor that connects directly to lug 1 of the gain pot (can't remember which at this time, but you get the idea)-
When you need to remove a part from a board that would be difficult to desolder, you may find it useful to think of it as choosing between destroying the board or destroying the part.  In this case, snipping the pot off of its leads (choosing to destroy the part) would have made it easier to remove one pin at a time.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Big mike 1100

I know it's been a little while and I've built a few other pedals with the help of this forum,  but something is bothering me with this pedal. When the gain is at about 3/4 (2:30 or 3:00) of the way and I strum a chord or pick a note with a slight attack, the pedal "stutters" until it quiets down again, almost like a delay pedal with too many repeats.  It's not even a hard strum pick.  Plus the distortion is not nearly as crunchy as other overdrive pedals.  Could it just be a wrong/bad part somewhere?

Any thoughts?  I can't imagine it's the way the pedal was designed.
  • SUPPORTER

Big mike 1100

still stuck on this one.  Figured I'd try again.  Thanks!
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

I think stability issues can creep in on that design when the gain is cranked too high (sometimes they can oscillate).  As far as I know, none of them (stable or not) sound good as you pass that 3/4 mark.
Also, don't expect crunchy sounds from it.  It's a mostly clean overdrive.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.