Question about EQ chips

Started by Mark Hammer, February 02, 2018, 12:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

I have some KA2223 5-band equalizer chips. ( https://pl-1.org/getproductfile.axd?productid=970&filename=KA2223.pdf ).  The datasheet shows how to add bands or cascade more than one to achieve 7 and 10-band EQ.

But what if a person only wants to avail themselves of 3 or 4 out of 5 bands?  Given the internal structure of the chip (essentially 5 gyrators that are all-but complete, and merely lack two caps to set resonant frequency, and a control pot), would leaving anything "out" result in noise or any other problems?

Groovenut

I'd speculate that as long as the base and NF connections for the unused gyrators were left open (not connected), everything should be fine. I cant see any additional current draw happening that way.

My 2 cents
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

R.G.

Yeah, I think you can just leave the bases and feedback points open. It won't have any more hiss than it would otherwise.  :icon_lol:

You could also tie a cap from base to ground to AC-ground the unused transistor base. Probably not necessary, but possible. This might result in a start-up thump as the base caps charged. Maybe a small cap just for hiss. But again, no more hiss than normal results from just not using one or two transistors.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.