Tonebender/Fuzz Face Veroboard standoffs

Started by skylerglaser, February 08, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skylerglaser

I'm working on a few projects and I'm wondering where I can get some standoff's like the ones in the old Tone Bender MKii's, im having trouble posing pictures at the moment but they're easy to find thanks!

skylerglaser

Here are some pictures of what I'm looking for:

thermionix

The middle pic has screws going through the top of the enclosure and the board, so it's probably the internally threaded metal type.  The top and bottom pics look like they have a bent piece of sheet metal, maybe it runs under the pots?  Probably custom made for or by the pedals' builders.

kaycee

Bitsbox.co.uk does the threaded stand offs in various sizes. In the hardware section I think.

antonis

Is there any particular reason (other than for mounting purpose..) for that..??
(e.g. connecting the - possible- ground plane of the board to enclosure..)

You can do it using distance bolts:

or using plastic PCB standoffs:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

skylerglaser

Quote from: antonis on February 08, 2018, 05:36:36 AM
Is there any particular reason (other than for mounting purpose..) for that..??
(e.g. connecting the - possible- ground plane of the board to enclosure..)

You can do it using distance bolts:

or using plastic PCB standoffs:

I think it's a grounding thing for both pedals, at least it looks like it, there's a solder tab on the standoff's as well

jsleep

Mouser used to, and probably still does sell little plastic tubes that are meant for standoffs.  Just put the long bolt through the enclosure, then through the tube then the pcb and nut goes on top the PCB.  They work pretty well, since I don't like bolt heads on the top of my stompboxes...

I think I used them a couple times in power supplies where I wanted to make absolutely sure that the PCB wasn't going anywhere.  Otherwise I use the plastic standoffs.  I have some stompboxes that are 16 years old or more, been through extreme temperature climates (my uninsulated shop through summer and winter)  and the plastic standoffs are still as good as new.

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

PRR

> Mouser ...still does sell little plastic tubes that are meant for standoffs.

You pay for them??

BIC pen. Fine saw.
  • SUPPORTER

Electric Warrior

Quote from: skylerglaser on February 08, 2018, 11:28:30 AM
I think it's a grounding thing for both pedals, at least it looks like it, there's a solder tab on the standoff's as well

Yes, the bracket connects the ground tab with the enclosure. I guess most builders simply cut them out of a piece of sheet aluminium using tin snips.

slashandburn

If you're in the UK then Rapid sell them.

https://www.rapidonline.com/PCB-Supports

I bought a big bag about 2 years ago and think I've used them twice. The "stand-off" means you lose a but a space in the box and I usually need all the space I can get.