Si or op amp Rangemaster style circuit

Started by Silvio55, February 10, 2018, 12:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvio55

Hi! I'm looking for an alternative circuit that can "replace" a Ge Rangemaster. I've been using a modded RM for some time and I love it.
I've put a large input cap in mine, so it's like a full range booster, sort of a fuzzy OD, I use it with pushing a cranked JMP 50 plexi clone I made and a Strat. I leave the RM always on, and control the gain with the guitar vol knob. This way it cuts some highs with the guitar vol on 10, giving a fat overdriven tone, with some fuzzy textures, but rolling back the volume and it cleans up perfectly, with the highs back, getting a sparkling clean tone, it behaves similar as a Ge Fuzz Face.
I wanted to know if there's a way of achieving a similar tone with that nice "clean up", but with less hiss and with a more stable and easy to get/replace transistor, or even op amp.
Thanks!

nocentelli

The catalinbread Naga viper is a Si version of the RM, with an added range control (input cap blend) and a gain control to dial in the amount of dirt added by the transistor: worth a try out on the breadboard.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Passaloutre

I've had good luck using small caps (e.g. 47p or 470p) from collector to base to warm up Si fuzz circuits, and simulate the warmth of Ge. Works great in the Fuzz Face, I don't see why it wouldn't in a Rangemaster. That said, my Ge Rangemaster (my first DIY pedal) is still a favorite, and I see no reason to replace it.

Silvio55

The naga viper is in my plans for a future build and see if it fits me. Other sugestion i've got was the Omega booster.
I'm not looking for replace my RM, I just thought it could be cool to have another circuit that replicates what the RM does, but without the Ge transistor.

smallbearelec

Quote from: Silvio55 on February 10, 2018, 12:53:51 PM
if there's a way of achieving a similar tone with that nice "clean up", but with less hiss and with a more stable and easy to get/replace transistor, or even op amp.

Get out your breadboard and see figure 27 and figure 30 in this article:
http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardRMs/BreadboardRMs.htm

The RM can be done with "remainder" devices, and the result can be better than the original with no power supply issues. But you have to fish a little for suitable parts and experiment.