Pedal i made. Let me know what you think

Started by Ryanhardy, February 17, 2018, 07:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryanhardy

See the vid.  Took me three months or so to design and build.  I learnt a few things here from various people.  The design is mainly original, or atleast certaintly not an attempt to clone anything.  Just a pedal i find useful for classic rock, and a clean boost if needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiUCqreQn-k&feature=youtu.be

Mark Hammer

Sounds fine, at least as far as small monitor speakers can convey.  But you have to work on your legending.  :icon_wink: :icon_lol:
Not to worry.  Most people have a hard time spelling things out when the word is not presented in the normal way.  I have decent spelling, but if I'm writing in large letters on a chalkboard or whiteboard, I can never tell if I've spelled something correctly.  Same thing if a word is written in column fashion.

PRR

"Presesence"? Mark, you have been pushing papers far too long. Quit that job! You sound like my mother! (Writer/editor for many decades.)

I've seen worse in guitar-world.

It was used as far back as 1475: "he felith þe presesence of his fall."

It was used in 2016:  "ONLINE MINISTRY YOUR PRESESENCE MATTERS"

Important 2004 paper: "Presesence and distribution of organic wastewater..., Minnesota, 2000-02".

ISO 9001 certified plastic company "Global Presesence".

African energy company: "Our Presesence"

A field you know, Abnormal Psychology, Flexner, 2006, pg47: "...they tend to presesence the abolition of the dissociating barriers..."

_I_ think it looks way-functional. Clearly the user knows what knob does what. Anybody else who gets close enough to count the "es"s is in position for a boot to the nose.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

I do my legending with rub-on transfer letters (Letraset for those of you old enough).  It's a stash that is somewhere around 18 years old (though the white letters were bought in 2009).  I'm very stingy about naming functions because I'm running out of some letters and know I'll never be able to find others in that same font and size.  'E's I have plenty of.  'S's not so much.  And the days of naming a knob "Fuzz" are drawing to a close.  It's almost down to a simple 'F' for fuzz and 'V' for volume.  In some instances, the V is really a W with a bit scraped away.

So when I see "Presescence", my immediate thought is "He's wasting letters!".  :icon_lol:

GGBB

What I think is that it needs a statatus LED.
  • SUPPORTER

Ryanhardy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 17, 2018, 03:29:24 PM
Sounds fine, at least as far as small monitor speakers can convey.  But you have to work on your legending.  :icon_wink: :icon_lol:
Not to worry.  Most people have a hard time spelling things out when the word is not presented in the normal way.  I have decent spelling, but if I'm writing in large letters on a chalkboard or whiteboard, I can never tell if I've spelled something correctly.  Same thing if a word is written in column fashion.
Yes, spelling misktake.  Cant believe i never noticed it.  Good thing i dont plan on selling it.

Phoenix

Ryanhardy

Quote from: PRR on February 17, 2018, 06:51:05 PM
"Presesence"? Mark, you have been pushing papers far too long. Quit that job! You sound like my mother! (Writer/editor for many decades.)

I've seen worse in guitar-world.

It was used as far back as 1475: "he felith þe presesence of his fall."

It was used in 2016:  "ONLINE MINISTRY YOUR PRESESENCE MATTERS"

Important 2004 paper: "Presesence and distribution of organic wastewater..., Minnesota, 2000-02".

ISO 9001 certified plastic company "Global Presesence".

African energy company: "Our Presesence"

A field you know, Abnormal Psychology, Flexner, 2006, pg47: "...they tend to presesence the abolition of the dissociating barriers..."

_I_ think it looks way-functional. Clearly the user knows what knob does what. Anybody else who gets close enough to count the "es"s is in position for a boot to the nose.

Thanks for that research PRR.  Here i was thinking i made a spelling mistake (which it is), but turns out its an actual word.

Ryanhardy

Quote from: Phoenix on February 17, 2018, 11:17:16 PM
Quote from: Ryanhardy on February 17, 2018, 11:14:49 PM
Good thing i dont plan on selling it.
? Interested in offers
Yes i am interested in all kinds of offers, but not likely any regarding the sale of this particular pedal.

Phoenix

Quote from: Ryanhardy on February 18, 2018, 12:06:14 AM
Quote from: Phoenix on February 17, 2018, 11:17:16 PM
Quote from: Ryanhardy on February 17, 2018, 11:14:49 PM
Good thing i dont plan on selling it.
? Interested in offers
Yes i am interested in all kinds of offers, but not likely any regarding the sale of this particular pedal.
This site probably isn't the best option to gauge interest because, well, this is a DIY site, and people here are inclined to build their own things, be it clones, modified clones, derivitives, or original designs, rather than buy a complete pedal (in most cases - exceptions usually being digital effects or vintage pedals with obsolete parts). Now if you were to offer a PCB or kit, you'd likely get much more interest here. But as a completed pedal, for market research purposes or whatever your end goal is ultimately, you'd probably be better off in Facebook groups for pedal buy/swap/selling or boutique builds, or places like The Gear Page, Harmony Central, Rig Talk, etc, where your target audience is centralised.

Ryanhardy

Yes i see, thanks for the tip.  Off to facebook i go.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Ryanhardy on February 17, 2018, 11:18:45 PM
Thanks for that research PRR.  Here i was thinking i made a spelling mistake (which it is), but turns out its an actual word.
Without realizing it, you were prescescient!  :icon_wink:

But like I say, it is often hard to spot spelling errors when words are seen in unfamiliar ways.  That's one of the reasons why some of the hardest words to spot in those "word search" puzzles are those in a column or diagonal.