Help needed with uglyface with LFO veroboard

Started by cyrdun, February 13, 2018, 11:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyrdun

Hi,
this is only my second attempt at doing a diy pedal. I have followed the vero layout of Blanik. I modified it by adding a 3PDT for true bypass.
So I get some fuzzy sound and the pots and switches seem to work ok, but the sound is way too low, barely audible if I don't turn up the volume at which the true bypass gives a nice audible volume when activated. I have double-checked the positions and values of the components, it's ok. I have double-checked (absence of) connectivity between strips on the board, it seems to be ok.
I really don't know what could cause this low volume and I would appreciate any help or advice.
Thanks in advance.

as attachments I join the Blanik layout and a picture of my board - which is quite a mess I must admit :).

ElectricDruid

Looks to me like you've got shorts under IC2, but if not there, you've maybe got them somewhere else.

Get the leads neatly trimmed and and solder joints tidied up and then see how you're doing. You might find that solves your problem and there isn't anything more serious to deal with.

T.

cyrdun

cyrdun

no success for now...
A weird thing I have noticed though is that if I bypass C6 the pedal "seems" to work ? I mean, I have sound at decent level and pots do their job, but I'm not sure the sound is the one intended. :)

diffeq

Quote from: cyrdun on February 22, 2018, 12:45:28 PM
no success for now...
A weird thing I have noticed though is that if I bypass C6 the pedal "seems" to work ? I mean, I have sound at decent level and pots do their job, but I'm not sure the sound is the one intended. :)
Which is rather helpful info. I noticed that the wire leads designated freq1 and vol3 are on wrong tracks. See the red lines on these images:

cyrdun

Quote from: diffeq on February 22, 2018, 01:33:15 PM
Quote from: cyrdun on February 22, 2018, 12:45:28 PM
no success for now...
Which is rather helpful info. I noticed that the wire leads designated freq1 and vol3 are on wrong tracks. See the red lines on these images:

Hi, thanks for answering.
What do you mean? the two wire leads should be shift down one line? But then, as the red squares are inline cuts, they would be connected to nothing?

BetterOffShred

Yeah for sure, that's what it looks like to me too!   Good eye Diffeq   

No they should be shifted up one line when viewed from the front.   The red lines are showing where you have them now.   

cyrdun

aaah ok! I see it now!  :icon_redface:
Thanks a lot!
Diffeq you have a bionic eye ;)

BetterOffShred

Dude it's happened to us all, trust me.    And in all honesty, it'll probably happen again.   I built the vero layout for the Echo Dream 2.. troubleshot it for days, literally days..  Ended up being I had one pot wired wrong.   

Let us know if that was it :)
-Brett

cyrdun