Wondering if anyone has every modified a tuner pedal, to make it always-on?

Started by LakeWorthB, February 21, 2022, 07:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LakeWorthB

I have a Kliq tinytuner pedal, that works great, and has one button that turns on pedal, and disables output. Ideally I would like tuner to always be on, and just have the button to disable output when actually tuning. I haven't opened it up yet, but was wondering if anyone has done this before?

antonis

HI & Welcome.. :icon_wink:

I'm affraid you can't do what you want to 'cause, as manual says, "Hit the On / Off Switch to toggle the power. Please note, when the tuner is on, no sound will pass through to the output."

That means you can't have both signal output and tuner working simultaneously..

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

LakeWorthB

I figured that I could modify first so that power is on all the time.

digi2t

Wouldn't adding a jumper wire across in and out jack tips bypass the mute function?

Then again... do you really want to serenade your audience with your tuning symphony? :icon_rolleyes:

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

GibsonGM

Would it (a jumper) also bypass the tune function?     

I wonder if this would work in side-chain...by jimmying the power switch always "on", and adding a buffer/splitter up front, sending one signal to the tuner and the other thru the pedal chain.   I do this in my DAW sometimes so I can tune anything off a side channel...don't know if it's a solution for this, tho...

One has to ask oneself, "is the work to make this worth avoiding stepping on a button to tune, and calling it good?"   :P
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

r080

A really simple solution is a volume pedal with a tuner out. Tuning all the time, but turn down the volume pedal for silent tuning.

Of course, you have to have real estate for a volume pedal.
Rob

vigilante397

You could add a buffered split, so your signal goes both to the output and to the tuner. Depending on the input impedance of the tuner circuit you may not need the buffer, but it's generally a good idea to have.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

GGBB

Should be possible to do this in theory, but in practice may be another story.

If it's a 3PDT true bypass type of setup, you just need to disconnect the switch signal muting (which is probably on the output jack) and permanently connect the power and the pedal input to the tuner circuit input - and hope there's no tone suck. Essentially just replace the switching with a simple output only mute switch setup and connect the tuner circuit input directly to the input jack. The pedal has what looks like a typical 3PDT switch so even if it is something else you could probably replace it - technically you only need SPDT to accomplish this. Open it up and takes some pics for us to see.

Even if it's buffered bypass - still possible - just make the FET switch that blocks/sends signal to the tuner circuit always on. You'll need to know the actual circuit to figure out how do that.

• SUPPORTER

pacealot

Back when I was a gigging bass player, I had a fairly complicated stereo rig, and I also didn't want to run signal through the tuner (for reasons I don't remember exactly — perhaps I was vehemently anti-buffer that week?), so in my ignorance of electronics I cobbled together some switching arrangement which put it on one side of an A/B output switch. I found that enough signal leaked across to it when it was theoretically switched out of the system to where it was reliably useful as a tuner even when I was passing signal to the amp/DI/whathaveyou. I'm guessing it was because I had observed poor wiring hygiene. This may not be a helpful or useful solution for you, but it was an unexpected benefit for me at that time.

It was reassuring to know I could look down and check while in the middle of a song (particularly while playing longer sustained notes which tended to track better with that arrangement), just in case I had any niggling doubts about what I was hearing from my spot onstage, so I understand why you would want to have that as an option.

(I keep meaning to build a "properly-designed" stereo bass switchbox for "stage use", even though there's an exactly 0% chance that I will perform publicly on bass again...)
"When a man assumes, he makes an ass out of some part of you and me."

PRR

Put a Y-cable in front of the tuner. Leave tuner ON.

Instrument goes to Y, splits, one side of Y excites the tuner, other side of Y feed the amp.
  • SUPPORTER

digi2t

Quote from: PRR on February 21, 2022, 02:49:46 PM
Put a Y-cable in front of the tuner. Leave tuner ON.

Instrument goes to Y, splits, one side of Y excites the tuner, other side of Y feed the amp.

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK