Super Tube Ts-9 Pro. Problems with the IC

Started by Yoshi, February 21, 2022, 10:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshi

Hello, I was trying to CLON the Super Tube. Is based in a TS-9 with a mid focus knob. But when I obtain the protoboard, the pedal had a lot of clipping and to much saturation.

At the end I realice that the IC (the first one) was the problem, but I don´t know how to reduce the noise or the power.

In the image is the schematic of the pedal that I tried to clon.
Pleaseee!!! help me... I don´t know what to do!! is a beutiful pedal but the brutal saturation dont help the sound. All the best

GibsonGM

Hi Yoshi,  If the first IC - the input buffer - is distorting or changing the signal in a bad way, that is not normal.

Can you post the IC voltages please?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Quote from: Yoshi on February 21, 2022, 10:02:24 AM
Pleaseee!!! help me... I don´t know what to do!!

Make R14 470k - 510k, C10 470nF (optionally), move to C10 left leg and get rid of the rest of input buffer.. :icon_wink:
(or use the amp for Q2 replacement..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Yoshi

Hello, thank you very much for answering. I change the proteus file and the simulation works.. but, can I send you the diagram and thell me if is ok? It would we an honor.

All the best.

antonis

Delete R2 & C9 also..

P.S.
There is no reason for C1 & C2 of different values as long as their respective HPF resistors (R14 & R5) are of the same value..,
An established practice is to "tighten" the various filters going from IN to OUT so you might need (optionally) to make C2 smaller than C1..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Yoshi

antonis

Yoshi

For sure!!! but Im new in the forum, what is a P.S? sorry if the question is a little dum

antonis

You're in a hurry and make me nervous.. :icon_lol:

Make R15 100k or delete it..

P.S. is a post-script which is most often a sentence or paragraph added after the signature of a letter.

Yoshi

ooohh!!!! you are rigth I´m over excited because the pedal can work well, sorry about that.

I made the change´s , and I didn´t know about the C1 and C2 situation, so, If C2 is larger than C1 the sound is less controlled?

antonis

Quote from: Yoshi on February 21, 2022, 01:14:06 PM
If C2 is larger than C1 the sound is less controlled?

Quite right.. :icon_wink:
(in the mean of the frequency margin difference is practically useless 'cause a part of what is potentially controllable by C2 is already cut by C1)

Both C1/R14 and C2/R5 are 1st order High Pass filters (6db/octave slope)..
As they are cascaded, they result into 2nd order HPF (12db/octave) for frequencies covered by both of them ..
(you may need to search about filter orders and poles..) :icon_wink:

Suppose C1/R14 cut-off frequency is lower than C2/R5 one (C1 > C2)..
We have 6 db/octave slope till signal meets C2/R5 configuration -  it then continues with a slope of 12db/octave for frequencies equal to or higher than C2/R5 one, cause C1/R14 filter overlaps C2/R5 cut-off frequency..

Yoshi

Wuooo!!!! that´s brutal bro!!! thanks!!!!!

By the way, There is a formula or a way to increase the output (only the volumen) of this pedal?, This question came when I was using a litle amplifier

GibsonGM

You'd need to learn a bit about operational amplifiers, Yoshi...this is a start!  Your 'gain parts' here are primarily non-inverting gain stages that CAN be adjusted.  There are many tutorials everywhere online, including videos on Youtube!

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/opamp/opamp_3.html
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

What Sir Mike said.. :icon_wink:

Just to make a brute discrimination between Gain and Volume, which might seem identical till signal amplitude hits power supply rails..

Chugs

Remove R3. Pin 4 of U2B should connect directly to ground.

Yoshi

Hey!! thank you very much!! I will work harder to know all of this!!! the information that all provided  is so valuable!! Im greatfulll

All the best