"Triple Threat"

Started by pollyshero, April 15, 2018, 10:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pollyshero

Years ago my first successful pedal build was the Tube Sound Fuzz from Craig Anderton's "Electronic Projects for Musician's".  It has been and always will be on my pedal board - it has its uses, but anyone who's ever built it is also aware of it's limitations.  I never tried any of the mods described in the book, but always did want "something more.  The WHRL looked like the best candidate.  My original TSF was in a poorly planned and overlarge enclosure and I'm at the point now where I need to start conserving space on my pedal board...  I decided to build both into one pedal.  As I built I realized that I could use either independently or each could be used as a clean/dirty boost for the other.  I've built a few pedals here and there but this is my first "triumph" - it sounds like what I expected to hear and is versatile enough to be considered (currently) my go-to overdrive.  Looks good too!

Board is etched from a Madbean "Snarkdoodle" layout.  The TSF is stock from Anderton's book values, WHRL is Madbean's Snarkdoodle values. It looks a bit messy but it sounds great.  The first implementation was a disaster - the TSF sounded OK but when the WHRL was kicked in I got apocalyptic buzzing due to the way I had the outputs shared as seen in the photos.  I've since changed the signal routing - Both sides are true-bypassed and the bypass output of the TSF now feeds the input of the WHRL and the WHRL output goes to the jack. Hope you like it.

Boldly Going Nowhere...