Yesterday was a sad day for me and DIYstompboxes

Started by aron, March 06, 2018, 12:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

For all that come to this forum, this is the man that had a part in everything I created including this forum....

Clement Nelson - My best friend, all my life
Monday 8:52 am

Yesterday I lost my best friend who just happened to be my Dad. I have been calling this man almost every day for the last 34 years or so; ever since I lived in the mainland. For all of my life, he has been a constant source of inspiration and the closest person to me. He was always involved in new technologies, whether it was a 57 Chevy, Mustang or Camaro or it was music or video or computer technology. I remember him bringing home a Televideo computer with the awesome green computer screen long ago - before DOS. Our house also had one of the first VHS recorders - and the first IBM PC. He always had a  knack of picking the correct technology despite my objections. He was an avid jazz music fan and collected a lot of recordings on reel to reel and vinyl. He went to Berklee school of music and he played guitar, and piano in later years.

Although we were not rich, I never longed for anything I really needed. He made sure I had lessons, my first flute, Rhodes, guitars, amplifiers, mics and more. Although he insisted that he couldn't improvise, he played great on the guitar. His forte was chord melody and he constantly practiced his vast collection of notated jazz solos. He always encouraged me and my friends to play music and allowed us access to all of his instruments.

He had a way of listening to me and making valid suggestions after much thought. I relied on his knowledge to help me improve my applications I wrote and the music I wrote as well as my life. He loved knowing what performers I was playing with and he listened as I talked about the many gigs I did before and after the events.

I loved to call him in the mornings and afternoons just to talk about recent events and his other passion.... sports. This man played baseball, basketball, bowling, golf and more. All the things I am terrible at.... In later years, he took great delight in teaching every grand kid golf - which was one of his favorite sports to watch and play. He taught all of them golf hoping to get one child that would grow to love the sport. I am proud to say that my son became the one that would love to play the game on his own. I learned to love the game much later but I will miss telling him about my (terrible) golf game and his many tips to help me play better.

He was very proud of all of his grand kids, like my daughter, and I am also glad to say that they really got to know how amazing he was. All of the grand kids got to know and love this man as much as I did.

When he passed away, his family was by his side and I held him as he took his last breath. I got to tell him how much he was loved which is more that I can explain.

I will miss him so much...

vigilante397

Sounds like a great guy, sorry for your loss. There's nothing anyone can say that will make you feel any better, but we're here for you (as you've been here for us) just the same. It's good that he was able to be with family at the end. Best way to go if you ask me.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

italianguy63

So sad to hear Aron... My best to you, cherish the memories you have.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Mark Hammer

As one gets older, one tends to check the obits in the paper every day.  Partly, it's to make sure that there aren't any funerals you need to plan on attending - after all, you get to know a LOT of people the longer you live - but also, they tell wonderful moving tales of lives well-lived, of people deserving of being remembered always.  Sometimes because of great things they might have accomplished, but just as often mundane minor-stature lives that were full of joy, adventure, love, devotion, with nothing lacking.  You can read obits of people you have absolutely no connection to whatsoever, but after reading about their life, you kind of miss them and wish you had gotten to know them, bought 'em a beer or coffee, taken in a ball-game with them, or whatever.

A lovely tribute to an obviously lovely man, Aron.  Somebody I know you're going to miss a whole lot for a long long time.  Not because you're a morose person - far from it - but because I suspect there won't be a single day that goes by where you won't be thinking at some point "Oh, dad will absolutely get a kick out of this".  In a few weeks, it's coming up on 35 years since my own father passed away, and I still miss him, so I expect you'll miss your own dad for a long time to come, too.

My condolences to yourself, and your family, and I suspect to a lot of folks who were his friend.  He sounds like he would have had many.  He obviously raised you right.  Your sense of commitment to this place is a testament to his values.  May healing come swiftly.

deadastronaut

so sorry for your loss man,  your dad sounds like a great guy...

ive lost both my parents now, but i still have great fond memories. as you will too.

peace.
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

GGBB

My condolences Aron. And thanks for sharing such a great tribute.
  • SUPPORTER

allesz

Fender3D

"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

Ice-9

Aron, I am sorry to hear the news and loss of your best friend and Father, It sounds like you had a nice childhood and upbringing and a very close bond with your Father all through your life.
Those memories are priceless.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Kipper4

My thoughts are with you and your family Aron.
Sounds like the kind of man all of us would have proud to know.
Qualities I'm certain you inherited Aron.
Now I don't know you personally but I feel like I do in a small way.
It's a testament to your father legacy that most of us forumites feel like we have made many friends from around the whole world in a small way too.

God speed.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

hippo

sorry for your loss Aron.. A big hug from Italy...

rankot

I am sorry for your loss, I can do no more than hope that one day my sons will fill the same for me as you feel for your dad.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

bloxstompboxes

Sorry for your loss Aaron. I can't imagine what it will feel like when one or both of my parents goes. I guess that's a good thing since it means he/she was a positive thing in your life and caused you more happiness than sadness.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Pedal love

Sorry for your loss Aron. Just let me know if there is anything I can do. He is somewhere always with you bro.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

rutabaga bob

My condolences to you and your family.  Both my parents are gone.  You have some awesome memories to look back on.  Often, something will occur, with grandkids, dog, whatever...and I find my self thinking 'Dad would have laughed about...'  Peace to you in this time.
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

stallik

My deepest sympathies Aron. From your writings, I understand better why you are like you are. He did well
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Rob Strand

That's very sad news.  Your dad sounds like a really cool guy.  I can see why you miss him.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -

akc1973

My deepest sympathies, Aron. I lost my father 18 years ago - I know how you're feeling at the moment.
Builds: Bazz Fuss, Orange Squeezer, Omega, Green Ringer, Dist+, X-Fuzz

EBK

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

smallbearelec

Quote from: aron on March 06, 2018, 12:17:37 PM
When he passed away, his family was by his side and I held him as he took his last breath.

Be glad that you were there for him as he clearly was for you, and let those memories be a blessing.

SD