need help troubleshooting aion cirrus overdrives please!

Started by mmcclery, March 13, 2018, 11:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcclery

built two one for me one for my son, one sounds horrible screeching but bypasses corretly, second has no output and bypasses correctly

tried to best follow the instructions for help

Here is the checklist to fill out:
1.What does it do, not do, and sound like? built 1 screeches and sounds horrible, 2 has no output
2.Cirrus from Aion Electronics
3.Source of the circuit (URL of schematic or project) =https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wwr4nich9gct6r/aion-cirrus-ibanez-st9-overdrive-documentation.pdf?dl=1
4.Any modifications to the circuit? followed instructions built with jumpers on 5 to 6 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 for mid eq before clipping
5.Any parts substitutions? no substitutions were made used 100kc dual pot and resistor values as listed
6.Positive ground to negative ground conversion? Negative ground
7.Turn your meter on, set it to the 10V or 20V scale. Remove the battery from the battery clip. Probe the battery terminals with the meter leads before putting it in the clip. What is the out of circuit battery voltage? =>1 9.54 2 9.44
Now insert the battery into the clip. If your effect is wired so that a plug must be in the input or output jack to turn the battery power on, insert one end of a cord into that jack. Connect the negative/black meter lead to signal ground by clipping the negative/black lead to the outer sleeve of the input or output jack, whichever does not have a plug in it. With the negative lead on signal ground, measure the following:
Voltage at the circuit board end of the red battery lead =1 9.44v 2 9.28v
Voltage at the circuit board end of the black battery lead =1 0v 2 0v

1 equals box that sounds horrible with screeching
2 equals pedal with no output

thank you all!
Q1
C =1 9.4v 2 9.3v
B =1 4.2v 2 3.3v
E =1 6.5v 2 2.7v

IC1 (or U1)
P1- 1 4.7v 2 3.6v
P2- 1 2.6v 2 3.6v
P3- 1 4.4v 2 3.4v
p5-1 1.41v 2 1.41v
p6-1 0.05v 2 .18v
p7-1 4.59v 2 3.53v

IC2
P1- 1 8.81v 2 1.64v
P2- 1 4.64v 2 1.64v
P3- 1 4.64v 2 1.64v
p5-1 4.65v 2 1.43v
p6-1 4.76v 2 .6v
p7-1 4.65v 2 3.58v

D1
A (anode, the non-band end) =1=0v  2=0v
K (cathode, the banded end) =1 9.31v 2  9.13v

Slowpoke101

Welcome to the forum.

Is there any chance that you can upload some pictures please. Preferably as clear as possible.
Some pictures of both the component side and the solder side and a couple of the overall builds (gut shots).
If you can do that, it will be very helpful.
Some of your voltages seem a bit odd but we shall see what we can make of it all.

Again, Welcome.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

also welcome.

how come your IC's don't have a pin 4 or a pin 8? we still want the voltage readings on those pins, they are often indicative of fault conditions.

and, photos!
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

mmcclery

Removed the one that sounds horrible (1) from the enclosure for the pics.

mmcclery

Aph

Make sure all pots are insulated from the circuit board. I see you have tape underneath one. I would put at least two layers of tape under each pot... including the dual pot. I usually use double stick foam tape stuck to the bottom of pots for this purpose. Dual pots sit lower so I use a thin piece of cardboard and/or layers of tape.

EBK

Build 1, Q1 emitter voltage is way too high.  Shiuld be ariund 0.7V less than the base voltage.

Also, I hope it us a lighting/angle issue, but it looks like some pads are unsoldered....
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

mmcclery

not sure what the issue was but build 2 is working correctly now i do believe!
still working on build one though