anybody out there using the ToneCore dev kit?

Started by audioartillery, January 27, 2010, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital Larry

I have one as well, guess I'll see if that one sells.    That was a pretty frustrating exercise.  If you want to try to get their development system running, it's exceedingly difficult as it's tied to a very specific (old) version of Java or something like that.  I actually have a Windows XP hard drive with everything removed except for the Symphony studio app.  I wasted a lot of time trying to figure that out.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

mjkirk12

Seller is now selling just the programmable modules as well - appears to have at least 25 available.

audioartillery

Wow, so I recently resurrected my ToneCore dev kit.  I've been googling for things related to this kit and this thread turned up... which apparently I started like 10 years ago.  So I'm necro'ing my own thread.

I still really love this kit but even though I'm somewhat competent at assembly programming I'm not very familiar with the 56k architecture.  I've been eyeballing some ARM-based solutions (Teensy 3.x + Black Addr guitar interface is the best I've found so far) that I can build a pedal around but it's so nice to just worry about the software and have to build anything.

Quote from: Digital Larry on September 16, 2017, 11:29:37 PM
I have one as well, guess I'll see if that one sells.    That was a pretty frustrating exercise.  If you want to try to get their development system running, it's exceedingly difficult as it's tied to a very specific (old) version of Java or something like that.  I actually have a Windows XP hard drive with everything removed except for the Symphony studio app.  I wasted a lot of time trying to figure that out.

I just went thru the Windows XP hassle with a VirtualBox VM on my Mac.  Everything working fine but I had to tinker with different Java versions to get Symphony Studio to run (in case any poor soul happens across this thread:  JRE7 doesn't work, JRE8 won't install... JRE6 works).

Quote from: mjkirk12 on September 29, 2017, 01:22:03 PM
Seller is now selling just the programmable modules as well - appears to have at least 25 available.

Yeah, I just snagged a NIB module off eBay for $14.  If I get some really good effects going I may hunt down some more docks and just give them to friends.  The ones I made 10 years ago were interesting but not that novel.

hgamal

If you do not bother to do not use a graphical interface, I have a solution to deal with programming Tone Core modules.

I have designed a small application using libusb to program Tone Core modules. I have successfully compiled it on Linux and Windows XP.

If anybody wants to try, it is here:

https://github.com/hgamal/OTCDDK

Using the code above, you can also compile DSP codes, using git command line interface on Windows.

Sadly, I have not tested yet it under Windows 7, 8 or 10, but I have not seen any reason to it do not work. It works fine under Linux, but to compile DSP code, Wine must be installed. 

All binaries are there, assembler, linker and the Tone program application. It is a small size package (must to be downloaded using git from github), fast to setup and do not occupy much space on disk.

I use it at home without any problems, but use it at your own risk.  I take no responsibility over broken modules using my application.

All source code are available, under GNU license.

I hope it could be helpful. Please let me know about any improvements I can do.
Haroldo Gamal

audioartillery

That's really handy, thanks hgamal.  I don't have too many complaints about using a Windows VM once it's all set up, but the older the official toolchain gets the less and less viable that is.  Your toolchain will be a lifesaver to someone.