high note sustain fuzz?

Started by blackieNYC, April 10, 2018, 08:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackieNYC

What pedal am I looking for, to get a long, saturated sustain when playing high single note passages? Sometimes the low end sounds so smooth but the high notes don't have so much sustain. They get tired and peter out early.  I was thinking of hitting the front end of a fuzz face harder.  Perhaps an op amp and a pickup sim?  Or maybe just a BMP version. 
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

thermionix

Fuzz Factory and BMP can do some serious sustain.

iainpunk

Most opamp fuzzes seem to work, or a rat dialed to 11
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

KarenColumbo

I just built a BMP with a pre-gain booster (a LPB1) - good sustain even on high notes
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

blackieNYC

Good ideas, thanks.
If I wanted to put an LPB1 in front of a fuzz face, would it be best to add a pickup sim (one transformer coil) - or would that created enough signal loss to offset much of the boost?

Boosted BMP sounds like a lot of distortion- but it stays smooth and under control?
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Danich_ivanov

I built similar to big muff circuit (2 stages out of big muff) with mosfet booster (basically sho) as a first stage, and it had plenty of sustain, so maybe something in that ballpark. As far I understand the whole thing, sustain depends a lot on how [square] you'r signal is, so perhaps playing around with Schmitt Trigger within distortion/fuzz circuit might give interesting results.

Another thing that comes to mind is adding a network of low pass filters before or after first stage, nothing crazy, around 10k with 10nf cap, 2 of those, and make things brighter in the end. On the other hand, in a big muff circuit you can increase 470pf caps to something bigger, or/and play around with 100nf cap that goes in series with diodes and get somewhat similar results.

candidate