News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

for Blacky

Started by pinkjimiphoton, April 16, 2018, 08:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

hey all.
blackie nyc asked me to reup this ancient project, so here goes...

the 39k resistor to ground if memory serves was swapped out for a 50kc or 100kc pot to serve as a midrange control. its been a while, i forget, so... it may be the 22k too. try each and see what works best.

anyways... here ya go, hope it helps bro. this is all i have from that circuit left that i can find

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

duck_arse

[hey jimi - I think your Q1 and Q2 BC54x's are reversed in that layout.]
don't make me draw another line.

pinkjimiphoton

could well be bro, that was many years ago i think. socket 'em and flip 'em 180 degrees. sorry for that. nice sounding circuit with the mid control.
with real low gain ge's in it... well, say 40 to fuzzface range
ya get this kinda cleanish sustainer like a really filthy broken compressor almost...in a good way sorta.
i may have done a stupid pedal trick for it, if so its at youtube.com/666pinkster
i don't do youtube too much since they screwed a couple hundred thousand of us over, tho i may start doing pedal vids again at some point.

depends how lazy i am. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

blackieNYC

• SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

blackieNYC

Jimi, which circuit gives a mid boost or mid cut, with your single 100K pot?  In the comments, are you talking about the AMZ tone circuit shown above?   Ot the Blackout Musket Fuzz circuit?

It sounded like a good substitution for the big muff I'm working on.
  • SUPPORTER
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

pinkjimiphoton

neither.

"
pinkster January 27, 2017 at 2:51 PM
delete

hi benoit,
nice resource you have created with your site!
i am really digging it.
i always add a mid control to my muffs, but i use a 2.7k resistor in line with
a 100k pot.. i can cut the mids or boost them substantially that way.
also found another mod that i use in my builds...
on the big muff board from EH itself, the numbers are wrong compared to the schematics... if ya look for what's marked d4 on the circuit board, and parallel the existing si diode with an 1n34 ge diode, it works as a noise gate and wipes out most of the "ocean" in the background without taking away your balls or messing with your tone.
i don't know why it works, but it does.
check it out sometime if ya get the chance and let me know
if it works for you, too
peace!
jimi"

looking at the schems on the coda page, it would be jack orman's version. but i used a 2.7k resistor and a 100k pot apparently ;)

i don't tie the wiper to the unused lug. to me, it seems to limit the sweep of the pot too much... like, the first half of the pot has no effect cuz its tied to the output. maybe its just me, but to me it sounds different than just using it as a variable resistance.

sorry for the confusion bro, like i said, been a long time ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

blackieNYC

The one pictured above is what I ended up using.  In a BMP Ram's Head.  It is fantastic.  lots of useful settings.
I believe it is the New AMZ Tone Control version 1. with a 100kB pot and 25DB for the mids. Thanks JP.
  • SUPPORTER