Issues with Second build

Started by AstroJimmy, April 17, 2018, 09:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AstroJimmy

Hey, y'all. I am in the process  of trying to build my second pedal. It's the BYOC Yellow Overdrive. I started with trying to make the Scrambled octave which ended with me detroying the PCB, and then decided to get this with the free confidence booster (which went swimmingly).

I read the page before I posted about this but before I painstakingly test every single question I wanted to make sure I didnt ruin it. I also am unsure how to use the multimeter as it has so many options and I am a dummy.

The story is that I actually got this pedal to function. My battery is fresh. I tested it using a battery and just connecting the ends of the DC outs to complete the circuit. When I soldered everything into the enclsure and to the DC jack everything stopped working. The bypass still works fine, but when engaged the light comes on, and fart noises happen. And I'm an open minded guy. If I acidentally turned it into a shitty gnarly fuzz I could be down. But the actual sound is inconsistant and the volume knob seems to do nothing. This is really concerning to me as I got it to work, and now I am hoping I didnt fry a component with the soldering iron heat.

Thoughts?

blackieNYC

Welcome!
so you got it to work outside the box, and once you put it in it started to fail.
The power jack, then, is a new addition since it worked - review that wiring diagram for that jack.  They can be tricky.
the enclosure is new - see if some thing is touching it.
And stuffing the guts into the box is something done after it worked - did the wire on pin 9 of the stomp switch get pushed onto pin 5?  They look close.
Make sure you have plenty of light, and a magnifying glass of some kind.  Check your soldering again, especially to the off-board components.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

thermionix

Are you sure you got the In and Out jacks correct, and the cables plugged in to the right ones?  Don't laugh, it's a common mistake with "works in bypass, LED lights up, but..."

AstroJimmy

OK, so I've checked all of the things everyone has mentioned several times. Everything is in the right spot, and I've tried every configuration for the DC input so that is correct.

However, when I first got it to work, it functioned just fine. Then I messed around with the power, and now that that is fixed, it's all weird. Like, it sounds like a somponent is fried, because it's going te right way, but it isn't working right.

I guess I'm just asking if I could have damaged one of the parts by having the power hooked up backwards or something like that.

thermionix

Quote from: AstroJimmy on April 18, 2018, 12:58:49 AM
I guess I'm just asking if I could have damaged one of the parts by having the power hooked up backwards or something like that.

Absolutely.  I just checked the BYOC instructions, and unless I'm missing it, it doesn't look like it has a reverse power protection diode.  Unfortunately than means that if a component did get fried by reverse power, it may well be the 3403.  Also check C8 and C9, electrolytic (polarized) filter caps.

duck_arse

that 470k resistor looks to be empty of solder.

also, welcome.
don't make me draw another line.

AstroJimmy

OK, I'm pretty sure I fried something then. should I buy another chip? Should I just order a set of all of the polarized parts so I dont miss fire? How can I check what bit I damaged?

thermionix

I have no idea how to check the IC except to sub in another.  Good news is you have a socket, and the IC is available cheap at Small Bear (different brand I think).  If you think you applied reverse power, I would change those two filter caps also, they're also cheap and swapping them seems easier to me than testing them.

But you might have other issues, look everything over with magnification before spending money.  Most of the soldering visible in your picture looks acceptable, but that black ground wire by the Level pot is pretty bad.  And Duck already mentioned the 470k next to the IC.

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: thermionix on April 17, 2018, 10:13:49 PM
Are you sure you got the In and Out jacks correct, and the cables plugged in to the right ones?  Don't laugh, it's a common mistake with "works in bypass, LED lights up, but..."

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr