Custom BMP - low output and hum problem

Started by KarenColumbo, May 14, 2018, 06:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarenColumbo

Fellow builders, I just finished a BMP with an LPB-1 in front and some EQitry. Principally sounds good but has a hum problem, especially with single coils, and its output is too low, barely twice unity.

Here's a schematic.

And the board:

I used standard mono jacks (not encapsulated). AND: I have an input switch that lets me choose either R1/C1 or R8 als "insertion point": boosted or "normal" mode (I did not include the switch in the schematic).

The hum is not ground related, or so I think, because touching the enclosure or the strings of the guitar doesn't change it.

Could you have a look?

- Low output: Is there a chance to "juice up" the overall output volume?
- Hum: Is there a loop somewhere I overlooked?
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

Elijah-Baley

Firts of all: nice schematic! Where did you take up the EQ part schematic?

Then, it could be tricky, but can you test separately the LPB-1 in front, the EQ and the output stage? Maybe you will realize where is exactly the fail.
But of course check unwanted bridges, the ground spot of the parts, values of the resistorsa, caps... the orientations, the effect of all pots, the wiring... I assume you already know what you have to do, but maybe I could give you some hints. ;)

Good luck!
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

KarenColumbo

• SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

nocentelli

Output stage transistor's collector and emitter resistor values are swapped
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

nocentelli

Quote from: nocentelli on May 14, 2018, 09:35:53 AM
Output stage transistor's collector and emitter resistor values are swapped

and the base resistors also seem to be reversed, in the schematic if not the build

KarenColumbo

• SUPPORTER

nocentelli

Looks like a cool circuit, though.

Could you get a similar workalike with a 3—band baxandall using just two opamps and saving quite a few other parts? just seen you've got a parametric mids... going to have to try this.

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: KarenColumbo on May 14, 2018, 09:35:09 AM
Dear Elijah, this is just an amalgam of those sites:

http://www.bigmuffpage.com/Big_Muff_Pi_versions_schematics_part4.html
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/EQs/paramet.htm
and a guy from the forum.

I built everything using utmost care.

Thanks!
I knew the Big Muff link, of course. ;) RIght few days ago I look all the schematics.
And I'll take a look at the EQ page.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»

duck_arse

I was going to ask if the treble cut cap was really 100nF, but now, instead, I'll just say that your op-amps don't look right on the pcb. which I can't follow for part numbers, which are too small to read on the schem. also, don't ground the input of the spare opamp, take it to V/2 instead. after you've fried those bigger fish, tho.

[edit :] I think you'll be needing at least some resistance between the opamp output and that 100nF cap, too.
don't make me draw another line.

KarenColumbo

Okay, did the things you spotted. Thanks again!
  • SUPPORTER

KarenColumbo

Here's the all new version - have I fried all the fish you noticed?

• SUPPORTER

duck_arse

kinda. I was thinking the "resistor you added" [I can't read anything on the schem] should have been between opamp out pin and the 1uF [?] cap to the next stage, with the pot and 100nF [?] to ground at the junction of new resistor and 1uF. I think [grain of salt] that is the proper way to work a thigh cut control, and it will isolate the oppie from a capacitive load [grain of salt].

and now you have that oppie tied to V/2, it is providing a Vref as good as you'll get, so you might as well connect all your V/2 needing points to that opamp out pin.

I can't see if your layout is correct or not, but odd things aren't jumping at me, so have some chips with yer fried fish. add salt and vinegar if you like.

[thigh cut - like a high cut to remove the flab.]

KarenColumbo

Hope this is more readable

• SUPPORTER

duck_arse

much better. nothing is striking me as wrong. about Vdd - connect IC2B pin 5 to R13/R42/C23 point, and then call IC2B pin 7 Vdd.

KarenColumbo

Thx man - thigh is shaved now :) The thing you suggested with V/2 is very cool - this would f&/( up my PCB layout beyond redemption, though :( (I spent too much time on it already). Will keep this in mind in any case, though - solid V/2 is never a bad thing.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

KarenColumbo

Will be boxed with the shaved and fried layout soonest.

• SUPPORTER

Elijah-Baley

duck_arse

KarenColumbo

Haha :) Thx! I mean большое спасибо товарищу!
  • SUPPORTER