Question about the newer Proco Rat 2 pedals?

Started by chuckusa, April 25, 2018, 02:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckusa

Hey does anyone know if the newer proco rat 2 distortion pedals are old style resistors and caps ect, or are they the newer chip style?

By newer proco rat 2 pedals I mean the ones that are still for sale on ebay or guitar center.com or sweet water, some have the updated 9 volt barrel power plug tip, others have the 1/8th inch female power input?

Same question about the Boss Ds1?

I think its called surface mount boards. The newer style with chip components. Im just wondering if I can tell which ones are and which ones are not.
My setup is a work in progress:

thermionix

Quote from: chuckusa on April 25, 2018, 02:54:02 AM
I think its called surface mount boards.

Yes, SMT or SMD ("technology" or "device").  I don't know if either the Rat or DS-1 are currently being made with SMT, but I tend to doubt it.  There are probably other brands (Joyo or similar) that make knockoffs in small 1590A boxes using SMT.

patrick398

I had one of the 1/8' power jack versions a few years ago, pretty sure it wasn't SMT. I feel like the DS1 is more likely to be but i've never owned one so that's just a hunch

patrick398

Quote from: patrick398 on April 25, 2018, 04:24:01 AM
I feel like the DS1 is more likely to be but i've never owned one so that's just a hunch

Ever the contrarian, google suggests otherwise.

https://imgur.com/J6YjRIY

thermionix

Yeah I feel like those are two products where the manufacturers would fear a backlash if they changed the construction significantly.  "Hey these new Rats/DS-1s don't sound as good!  Must be the little tiny components!"

chuckusa

Great thanks for the replies guys. I will search some more also. Question if any of you guys are aware, but do you know if an LM308 IC chip will sit down in a Boss DS-1?

From what I am guessing and reading it seems to be a duel stage IC like the rock tek? Or similar?

thermionix

I'm not a DS-1 expert, but at least some of them used an inline IC, no place for a DIP or metal can LM308.  But you can do a daughterboard and run wires.

bartimaeus

DS1's since 2017 are SMD. Analogman says he can't mod the new ones because of this. However, the special edition black DS1's use through-hole components, so they might be worth picking up if you want to do mods.

http://www.analogman.com/boss.htm#DS1

Luckily, there's so many old DS1's out there that it's still really easy to find a through-hole unit.

I don't think any Rats are SMD, but I wouldn't be surprised if Proco switches the Rat2 to SMD just to drive up the desirability of their other models.

thermionix

Quote from: bartimaeus on April 25, 2018, 07:03:32 PM
DS1's since 2017 are SMD.

Well that's a bummer.  For my ears, the DS-1 is useless without mods.

Quote from: chuckusa on April 25, 2018, 12:48:47 PM
From what I am guessing and reading it seems to be a duel stage IC like the rock tek? Or similar?

Yes that's right, a dual opamp.  So you would need two LM308s to replace it.

chuckusa

Quote from: thermionix on April 25, 2018, 08:43:39 PM
DS1's since 2017 are SMD.

Well that's a bummer.  For my ears, the DS-1 is useless without mods.

Quote from: chuckusa on April 25, 2018, 12:48:47 PM

Yes that's right, a dual opamp.  So you would need two LM308s to replace it.

Alright thanks a lot for the help fellas. I don't think I am ready to add a board just yet lol. Baby steps here.

patrick398

I guess the ds-1 is appealing because it's easy to pick them up cheap but have you thought about breadboarding one?
The circuit is not too complicated and you could play around with making all the mods your heart desires.

ElectroSmash has a great circuit analysis:
https://www.electrosmash.com/boss-ds1-analysis

Juan Wayne

I got a RAT yesterday, brand new, traditional through-hole components on that one.

DS1's since 2017 are SMD. Analogman says he can't mod the new ones because of this.

I don't see the problem. Worst case scenario, daughter board and problem solved. Oh yeah, SMD doesn't allow fluid electron movement leading to reduced dynamic range, I forgot.

chuckusa

I am still new to breadboarding and pedal mods in general. But all these replies and help really helps. Thanks a lot dudes.

chuckusa

Just ordered me a Boss Ds-1 I decoded the serial and it was made in June of 2002. I read that it has a Mitsubishi M5223AL op-amp and was the loudest of the ds-1's.

chuckusa

Heres a quick question. When I replace any resistor like the metal flim ones, is there a positive and negative on the legs somewhere? I noticed that if I test the resisitor with my ohm meter, no matter which way I test it, it comes back around the same.

Or can they be installed in any way? Same question for capacitors.

bartimaeus

Resistors do not have polarity.

Some capacitors have a polarity, some don't. I'd recommend checking out some beginners guides to electrical components, as they will answer any of these kinds of questions.

chuckusa