Noisy volume pot

Started by DIY Bass, April 25, 2018, 11:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DIY Bass

I may be overthinking this. I have built a compressor from a kit. I was using a sine wave and an oscilloscope to fault find. Think I got the issue but I noticed another one. I don't have a schematic but the output goes through a volume pot right at the end before the bypass output. I can see a nice clean wave when the pot is at either extreme, but there is quite a lot of noise in the signal in between. Having said that I can't hear any differences in the tone between the bypass and non-bypass. I don't claim to have great ears though. I just want to do any sorting out before it goes into the box. Is this a problem or pretty normal? If it is a problem is it likely to be bad pot or something else?

Rob Strand

QuoteI can see a nice clean wave when the pot is at either extreme, but there is quite a lot of noise in the signal in between. Having said that I can't hear any differences in the tone between the bypass and non-bypass. I don't claim to have great ears though. I just want to do any sorting out before it goes into the box. Is this a problem or pretty normal? If it is a problem is it likely to be bad pot or something else?
It's pretty common.  The most common scenario is the volume pot used has a high resistance (as in it's nominal resistance value).    The output impedance of a volume control is maximum when it is centered (for a linear pot).  That does two things:  The center position becomes the most susceptible to noise and also it forms the lowest frequency low-pass filter with the cable + amp/effect capacitance.  (It's also worst case for  thermal noise.)

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

thermionix

You're hearing this noise with your ears, or seeing it on the scope?  Does that count as noise?  Is this like a "tree falls in the forest" thing?

QuoteHaving said that I can't hear any differences in the tone between the bypass and non-bypass.

There shouldn't really be much of a tonal difference, but if you hit the strings hard you should hear the volume clamp down.

DIY Bass

Quote from: thermionix on April 26, 2018, 01:19:54 AM
You're hearing this noise with your ears, or seeing it on the scope?  Does that count as noise?  Is this like a "tree falls in the forest" thing?

QuoteHaving said that I can't hear any differences in the tone between the bypass and non-bypass.

There shouldn't really be much of a tonal difference, but if you hit the strings hard you should hear the volume clamp down.

Yes exactly :-)  I am seeing it on the scope, but not really hearing it.  I will try and get some photos to show you what the scope is seeing.  Even better might be to work out how to post a short video showing the rotation from end to end.  And yes, I was trying to say that I am hearing what I expect to hear, which is no real difference between the bypass and non-bypass sound (especially as I tend to like pretty mild compression settings)

Rob Strand

It could be wide-band noise.  If you have a band-limit/low-pass filter on your CRO try flipping it.  Otherwise you can put a simple 20kHz to 50kHz RC low-pass filter at the output and probe that; you need an R smaller than the probe impedance but larger than the circuit impedance.  If it's wide-band noise then the filtering will reduce the noise you see on the display.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.