True-Bypassing an Ibanez pedal WITHOUT drilling.

Started by bartimaeus, April 27, 2018, 09:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartimaeus

Ok so there are a ton of folks who drill a giant hole on the top of their TS9 to add true bypass. Why don't they just replace the original bypass switch with a 3PDT, but leave the spring mechanism to trigger it so that the pedal looks the same? Is there insufficient room for one, or is there some other reason? It seems like it would fit, but I don't want to try it until I've asked around in case it won't actually work.

I get that some folks dislike the original Ibanez switch, and it makes the mod more obvious to your friends if you have a giant switch sticking out of the top of the pedal. But is that actually the simplest option?

Beo

I think a relay bypass (uc controlled) would be a better approach than trying to line up a mechanical spring mechanism. I've seen at least one board that fits in the battery compartment. Maybe not the simplest option, but no drilling.

vortex

Run the Ibanez in a True bypass loop pedal....?

thermionix

The TS808 can be switched over to a common 3PDT without drilling, and a washer will cover the rectangular hole, so it looks factory original.  The TS9 is a different beast.

bartimaeus

It looks like at least one person was able to do it without too much trouble: https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/tokuzo_music_lab/13195626.html

I can't tell, but it looks like no extra drilling was needed.

True bypass loop is probably the easiest answer, but it takes up more room, which is why tons of people drill holes in their TS9's. A small relay bypass board is a good option, and probably less complicated than replacing the original footswitch. Nonetheless, I wanted to know if it could be done.