DIY Synergy Amps Modules

Started by Reinerterig, April 28, 2018, 04:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinerterig

Anyone familiar with the new Synergy Amps modular system? its based on the old Randall MST modules. 

I want to see if I can build my own modules and was hoping that someone could give me a nudge in the right direction.

I assume the connector on the back is to supply power to my pre-amp module, take signal in and out and switch between channels. If anyone has built their own module the pin out and some general advice would be much appreciated.

J0K3RX

That module you posted is a Randall MTS series Brahma module which is the George Lynch signature rhythm sound. It's also single channel, all of the Synergy modules are 2 channel pretty much just a cop of the Egnater modules...
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Reinerterig

The Randall modules are compatible with the Synergy systems. I assume that the chances are higher that someone has built their own MTS module since they have been around longer.

teemuk

Yes, the connector in the back is for various interfacing purposes. You can google search for Randall MTS schematics (you should find an archived "package" containing several).

The schematics will reveal the pin arrangement. There are "standard" connections for input, output, filament, B+, various grounds, channel select, etc. but also plenty of unused "pins". Synergy modules are reputedly compatible with the MTS modules but I have a hunch they employ some of those unused connections for extra features they pack in comparison to MTS.

Anyway, search for those MTS schematics. Your questions are thoroughly answered there.

This isn't going to be much help for you without pics / schematics but here's the standard arrangement...

A: 18VDC
B:
C:
D:
E:
F: Select
G:
H:
I:
J:
K: Audio COM
L:
M: Audio output
N: Audio output
1: Filament / Misc GND
2:
3:
4: Audio Input
5:
6: N/A
7:
8:
9:
10: B+, 320VDC
11:
12: B+ COM

Reinerterig

Thank you teemuk, this is a huge help I think I found the package you mentioned and I will try and get as much out of them as I can some are jpg files that have only a corner of a schematic but there are some good ones.

I see there are several LDR switches in the circuits, I assume this is to keep the signal from flowing if the unit is off or until a module is inserted.

My Syn-1 arrived today and I don't have any modules yet I was hoping to build my first one. It's kind of hard to do continuity tests to figure out which pins are connected to input and output because it stays in bypass mode until you insert a module which means the input and output pins will stay shorted. so far you are correct with the 18VDC ( witch on the Syn-1 is 23V with no load ) and the 320V

Reinerterig

Ok, so here is step one of my design.

I created a template that you can hook up to any pre-amp and you should be good.

It looks like the MTS modules use three optocouplers, two connected to an NPN transistor which allows input and output signal to flow once pin7 receives power and one connected to a PNP transistor that seems to disable the module when pin7 is off (connected to ground) this second optocoupler seems to be connected between the first and the second gain stage on most schematics and pulls the signal down to ground when pin7 is off.

This looks pretty simple but it far from the final design. First of all, it only allows me to either enable er bypass a single channel. As I understand it pin8 is used in conjunction with pin7 to switch between channels. Synergy units also have circuitry That detects how the tubes are biased.

Here is my Shematic for the optocouplers.

Here is another image that shows how they are being used.